Deriving current from decharging capacitor and homogenous DE

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a differential equation related to a capacitor circuit. The person seeking help has derived the equation, but it does not match the expected solution. After reviewing the derivation, it is determined that there was a sign mistake made. The correct equation is presented and the rest of the calculation is similar to the one initially presented.
Jonsson
Hello there,

I want learn to do homogenous differential equations and I cannot work out what is wrong in this example. Hope you'll be able to tell me why my DE is unsatisfactory.

Assume that a capacitor is has charge Q and that the terminal with the high voltage is connected to a switch in line with a resistor which in turn is connected to the low terminal on the cap.

When the switch is closed, I write ohms law:
##i = \frac{v}{R}##
The current in the circuit will be proportional to the voltage across the capacitor plates.

The from there I rewrite ohms law using the definition of capacitance and differentiate to get the DE:

$$
i=\frac{v}{R} = \frac{q}{RC} \implies \frac{d i}{dt} = \frac{i}{RC}
$$

I solve the DE and find:

$$
i = C e^{t/(RC)},
$$
Where ##C## is some constant. The problem is that the current diverges as a function of time.

I wanted expected something along the lines of:

##i = Ce^{-t/(RC)},##

Where the current converge to zero of as time pass.

What is unsatisfactory with the DE I started with? I think it looks correct, and cannot find anything wrong with it. Perhaps you can help. :)

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply made a sign mistake in your derivation of the DE. Here you integrate the electric along the circuit from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate, this gives you [itex]-U=Q/C[/itex]. Further, since [itex]\vec{j} = \sigma \vec{E}[/itex] along the wire, you have [itex]i[/itex] positive in this direction. Thus the right equation is
[tex]i=-\frac{Q}{R C},[/tex]
and the rest of the calculation is analogous to the one you've presented.

Likes Jonsson

FAQ: Deriving current from decharging capacitor and homogenous DE

1. How does a capacitor store and release energy?

A capacitor contains two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, it creates an electric field, causing electrons to accumulate on one plate and leaving the other plate positively charged. This separation of charges creates an electric potential energy, which can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. What is the process of deriving current from a discharging capacitor?

As a capacitor discharges, the stored energy is released in the form of current. This current flows from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate, creating a flow of electrons in the circuit. The rate of change of this current is determined by the capacitance of the capacitor and the resistance of the circuit.

3. How does a homogeneous differential equation relate to deriving current from a discharging capacitor?

A homogeneous differential equation is used to model the behavior of a discharging capacitor. It takes into account the capacitance, resistance, and initial charge on the capacitor to determine the rate of change of the current. By solving this equation, we can determine the current at any given time during the discharge process.

4. Can the current derived from a discharging capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the current can be controlled by altering the capacitance or the resistance in the circuit. A larger capacitance will result in a slower discharge and a smaller current, while a smaller capacitance will result in a faster discharge and a larger current. Similarly, a higher resistance will result in a slower discharge and a smaller current, while a lower resistance will result in a faster discharge and a larger current.

5. How is the concept of time constant related to deriving current from a discharging capacitor?

The time constant is a measure of how quickly a capacitor discharges. It is determined by multiplying the capacitance by the resistance in the circuit. A larger time constant means a slower discharge, while a smaller time constant means a faster discharge. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of a discharging capacitor.