Deriving Efficiency of a Diesel Engine Formula

In summary, the Diesel cycle consists of an adiabatic compression, isobaric expansion, adiabatic expansion and isochoric cooling. The efficiency of the cycle can be found in terms of the compression ratio, r, and the ratio of specific heats, γ, as well as the temperatures at the hot and cold ends. To solve this problem, a table can be constructed to organize the temperatures, changes in internal energy, work and heat for each step of the cycle. The first law of thermodynamics can then be used to verify the values obtained.
CallMeShady

Homework Statement

The Diesel cycle is an idealized representation of the process that occurs in a Diesel combustion engine, as shown in the graph below. Starting at point a, the Diesel cycle consists of an adiabatic compression, an isobaric expansion, and adiabatic expansion and an isochoric cooling. Find the efficiency in terms of only the compression ratio, r = Va/Vb, γ (gamma), THot and TCold. Show all work!

289y52u.jpg

Homework Equations

e = 1 + QC/QH
γ (gamma) = cp/cv
dQ = dU + dW

For adiabatic expansion, TVγ-1 = constant, if the number of moles is constant PVγ = C where C is a constant.

Work for adiabatic process = W = (C/1-γ)(V21-γ - V11-γ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems starting up with this problem and writing it in terms of temperature. I know that temperature at Ta is equal to Tc which in turn is equal to TH from what I know. But, how do I begin after setting up the problem like this? I am sorry for not providing a "thorough" attempt at a solution; I am having problems at the initial steps which is why I can't do much. Any light on this problem would be appreciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
CallMeShady said:
I know that temperature at Ta is equal to Tc
How can that be? Surely Ta=Tcold.

An easy way to organize your thoughts would be to construct a Table as shown below and fill in the blanks. Start by figuring out the temperatures at each point using the ideal gas law. For example, ##T_a=\dfrac{p_a~rV}{nR}##. Then use ##T_a(rV)^{\gamma -1}=T_b(V)^{\gamma -1}## to find ##T_b## and so on for the remaining temperatures. Once you have all the temperatures, you can find the changes in internal energy using ##\Delta U=nC_V\Delta T##. Then you can fill in the rest of the entries.

The first law takes the form ##\Delta U = Q-W## where ##W## is the work done by the gas. To keep myself honest, I would calculate the work and the heat entering the gas independently and verify that the first law holds across each row. I would also verify that the sums of the entries in each column obey ##~~0=Q_{\text{Total}}-W_{\text{Total}}##.

Once you have completed the table, it's an easy matter to find the efficiency and answer any other question related to the cycle.

ΔU​
Q​
W​
a → b
b → c
c → d
d → a
Total

Related to Deriving Efficiency of a Diesel Engine Formula

1. What is the formula for deriving the efficiency of a diesel engine?

The formula for deriving the efficiency of a diesel engine is: Efficiency = (Work output / Fuel input) x 100. This formula calculates the percentage of energy from fuel that is being converted into useful work by the engine.

2. How is work output measured in the efficiency formula?

Work output is measured in units of energy, such as joules or horsepower. This can be determined by measuring the power output of the engine, which is the rate at which work is being done.

3. What is fuel input in the efficiency formula?

Fuel input is the amount of fuel being consumed by the engine. It can be measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds, or in units of volume, such as liters or gallons.

4. How does the efficiency of a diesel engine compare to other types of engines?

Diesel engines are known for their high efficiency compared to other types of engines, such as gasoline or steam engines. This is because diesel engines have a higher compression ratio and use fuel more efficiently.

5. Can the efficiency of a diesel engine be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a diesel engine can be improved through various methods, such as optimizing the combustion process, reducing friction, and using advanced technologies like turbocharging or hybrid systems. Regular maintenance and proper use of the engine can also help improve its efficiency.