Deriving equation of a ramp function graph.

In summary, a ramp function graph is a type of mathematical representation that shows a linear increase or decrease in a variable over time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of objects, such as a car accelerating on a ramp. To derive the equation of a ramp function graph, one must first determine the slope of the line, which represents the rate of change of the variable. This is then combined with the initial value of the variable to create the general equation of the ramp function. The resulting equation can be used to accurately predict the behavior of the variable over time.
btbam91
Hello, here is my problem.

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/827/rampfunction.png

I'm having a little trouble coming up with the function f(t).

I have something like:

f(t) = [(A/T)*t -A] + [(A/T)*(t-2T) -2A] + A*1(t-3T)

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
btbam91 said:
f(t) = [(A/T)*t -A] + [(A/T)*(t-2T) -2A] + A*1(t-3T)
This is still a linear equation in [itex]t[/itex], so it can't be right: the graph of any linear function is just a straight line. You will have to use a piecewise definition or perhaps a formula that incorporates unit step functions.

Have you studied the unit step function ##u(t)##? Expressing your function with it is the best way if you plan to transform the result. For example, if you want your function to equal g(t) on (0,a) and h(t) on (a,b) and 0 elsewhere you would write it like this:$$
f(t) = g(t)u(t) + (h(t) - g(t))u(t-a) + u(t-b)(0-h(t))$$Notice at each term you take out the old formula and put in the new one.

Thanks for the guidance! I will try to come up with a solution now with this additional knowledge!

LCKurtz, in trying to follow your formula, I got:

f(t) = [(A/T)*t - A]*u(t) + [((A/T)*t-3A)-((A/T)*t-A)]*u(t-2T)+[(0)-((A/T)*t-3A)]*u(t-3T)

btbam91 said:
LCKurtz, in trying to follow your formula, I got:

f(t) = [(A/T)*t - A]*u(t) + [((A/T)*t-3A)-((A/T)*t-A)]*u(t-2T)+[(0)-((A/T)*t-3A)]*u(t-3T)

That looks OK.

FAQ: Deriving equation of a ramp function graph.

1. How do you calculate the slope of a ramp function graph?

The slope of a ramp function graph can be calculated by dividing the change in the y-axis values by the change in the x-axis values. This is also known as the rise over run or the gradient.

2. How do you determine the equation of a ramp function graph?

The equation of a ramp function graph can be determined by finding the slope of the graph and the y-intercept. The slope can be calculated using the rise over run formula, and the y-intercept can be found by looking at where the graph crosses the y-axis.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative ramp function graph?

A positive ramp function graph has a positive slope, meaning that the graph is increasing from left to right. A negative ramp function graph has a negative slope, meaning that the graph is decreasing from left to right.

4. How can you graph a ramp function without knowing the equation?

To graph a ramp function without knowing the equation, you can use the rise over run method. Start by plotting the known points and then use the slope to find additional points to plot.

5. Can a ramp function graph have a slope of zero?

Yes, a ramp function graph can have a slope of zero. This would result in a flat line, meaning that the graph is not increasing or decreasing.

Back