Deriving F=a2/λL in Fresnel Diffraction

In summary, the speaker is struggling to find their notes on Fresnel diffraction for an upcoming Optics exam. They ask for help in deriving F=a2/λL where L=1/z+1/z' but have been unsuccessful in finding the solution through Google or other resources. Another person offers an approximate derivation using a point source and a slit of width 2a, ultimately concluding that the Fresnel regime is when R ~ a2/λ.
khanley
Hi guys,

I can't find my notes on Fresnel diffraction and I have my Optics exam on Monday...

Does anyone know how to derive F=a2/λL where L=1/z+1/z'

I've googled it to death, checked here and tried in Optics 4th edition by Hecht with no luck...

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give it a try, but its only an approximate derivation. Maybe it will point you in the correct direction: So we are looking at a slit of width 2a, and a point source S placed some distance behind it. The distance from S to the upper/lower part of the slit we denote R.

The distance between the opening and R we denote Δ, and is the difference between the plane wavefront to the curved wavefront. We find

[tex]
\Delta = R-\sqrt{R^2-a^2} = R-R\sqrt{1-\frac{a^2}{R^2}}\approx \frac{a^2}{2R}
[/tex]

If the wavefront is plane we must have Δ<<λ so R >> a2/λ. This is the Fraunhofer regime, so the Fresnel regime is R ~ a2/λ.

I hope it helps.

Related to Deriving F=a2/λL in Fresnel Diffraction

1. What is the mathematical formula for Fresnel diffraction?

The mathematical formula for Fresnel diffraction is F=a2/λL, where F represents the diffraction pattern, a is the aperture size, λ is the wavelength of light, and L is the distance between the aperture and the observation point.

2. How is the Fresnel diffraction formula derived?

The Fresnel diffraction formula is derived by applying the Huygens-Fresnel principle, which states that every point on a wavefront acts as a source of secondary spherical wavelets. These secondary wavelets interfere with each other to produce the diffraction pattern. By considering the contributions of all these wavelets, the equation F=a2/λL can be derived.

3. What are the variables in the Fresnel diffraction formula and what do they represent?

There are four variables in the Fresnel diffraction formula: F, a, λ, and L. F represents the intensity or amplitude of the diffraction pattern, a is the size of the aperture (or obstacle), λ is the wavelength of light, and L is the distance between the aperture and the observation point.

4. Can the Fresnel diffraction formula be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, the Fresnel diffraction formula can be applied to any type of wave, as long as the wave is coherent (meaning it has a constant phase relationship) and the aperture or obstacle is much larger than the wavelength of the wave.

5. How is the Fresnel diffraction formula used in practical applications?

The Fresnel diffraction formula is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of optical elements, such as lenses and mirrors, for laser systems. It is also used in the design of microscopes and telescopes. Additionally, it is used in the analysis of interference patterns in optical systems, such as in interferometers used for precision measurements.