Deriving fermat's principle of least time (lagrangian stuff)

In summary, Fermat's principle is used to minimize the time it takes for light to pass from one medium with an index of refraction n1 to another medium with an index of refraction n2. This leads to the derivation of Snell's law, which states that n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2. The solution key provided explains that although v (the speed of light) is constant within one medium, it can change at the interface between two media. This is because the path of the light is not constant, and when y=0 (the interface between the two media), the light does not have a horizontal velocity. This is important to understand when considering the angle of incidence and refraction.
iScience
original question: Consider light passing from one medium with index of refraction n1 into another medium with index of refraction n2. User Fermat's principle to minimize time, and derive snell's law (n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2).

here is part of the solution key

http://i.imgur.com/S1Pg9jC.png

i understand the first line but i start getting confused when it says "Although we have v = v(y), we only have dv/dy≠ 0 when y =0"

what?? I'm confused. can someone please translate that sentence for me please.

the 'v' is just c, it's a constant right? and if it's a constant, and doesn't change with respect to anything WITHIN one medium, dv/dq should equal zero all the time, so what is the text referring to when it says that?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, v is constant within one medium. But here there are two media. What will happen to v(y) at the interface between the two media?

but in the diagram the 'y' dimension I'm guessing is along the vertical. if we have y=0, then the light is just moving horizontal in which case the light would just stay in one medium wouldn't it?
i'm probably interpreting it the wrong way. how are you looking at it?

at y=0, the light does not have horizontal velocity. That would be true if we said the light went along a path where y was constant. But that's not what the question is saying. You've got two things mixed up: 1) having y=0 at one point in the path. 2) having y=0 over the entire path.
And in this problem, it is 1) which you should think about.

i'm sorry, i don't understand how you can have an incident photon at 0 degrees to the normal and refract with some angle other than zero degrees on the other side. any incoming photons incident at the interface at 0 degrees to the normal should remain zero degrees. it is only when we have some nonzero angle that we have light actually bending. so if y=0, how is dv/dy≠ 0 valid? in other words if light is coming in at y=0 (NO horizontal component), how is the speed of light with respect to the y dimension NOT constant? the light beam pass through the material remaining at 0 degrees. how is the speed of light changing with respect to the y dimension?

unless you're saying that the light comes in at a certain angle then refracts to theta= 0 degrees. is this the scenario you are referring to?

iScience said:
i'm sorry, i don't understand how you can have an incident photon at 0 degrees to the normal and refract with some angle other than zero degrees on the other side. any incoming photons incident at the interface at 0 degrees to the normal should remain zero degrees.
yes, true. But if y=0, that does not mean the 'photon' is incident at zero degrees to the normal. y is position, not velocity. (and also, by saying y=0, we are not saying anything about x yet).

Related to Deriving fermat's principle of least time (lagrangian stuff)

1. What is Fermat's principle of least time?

Fermat's principle of least time states that light will travel between two points in the path that takes the least amount of time, assuming a constant speed of light. This principle is a fundamental concept in optics and is used to explain the behavior of light in various optical systems.

2. How is Fermat's principle related to Lagrangian mechanics?

Fermat's principle can be derived from Lagrangian mechanics, which is a method for analyzing the motion of particles and systems. The Lagrangian of a system is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the system and its motion. By using the Lagrangian, one can derive the path of light that satisfies Fermat's principle of least time.

3. What is the mathematical expression for Fermat's principle of least time?

The mathematical expression for Fermat's principle of least time is given by the following equation: δ∫n(μ)ds = 0, where δ represents the variation in the path of light, n(μ) is the refractive index of the medium, and ds is the infinitesimal path length element. This equation is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation and is used to derive the path of light that satisfies the principle of least time.

4. How is Fermat's principle applied in real-world scenarios?

Fermat's principle is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as the design of lenses, mirrors, and other optical systems. By using the principle, engineers and scientists can optimize the design of these systems to achieve the desired behavior of light, such as focusing, dispersion, and reflection.

5. What are the limitations of Fermat's principle of least time?

While Fermat's principle is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of light, it has some limitations. For example, it assumes a constant speed of light, which may not always hold true in certain situations. Additionally, the principle does not consider the effects of diffraction, which can be significant in some scenarios.