Deriving formula for kinetic energy

billard
TL;DR Summary
Issue deriving 1/2 *mv^2 from some pre-assumed equations
Hello! I am new to the differential version of classical physics, and I am trying to work how to derive kinetic energy from some pre-assumed equations:

Assume that we know: ##\ddot{z} = 0## and ##m\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = 0##This results in $$\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 = W = const.$$

How is the kinetic energy given here with our pre-assumptions? I am sure this is very simple, forgive me, I am a beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done per time is innerproduct of Force F and velocity v. F =ma. When no work done, you can deduce that KE is conserved.

Last edited:
billard said:
TL;DR Summary: Issue deriving 1/2 *mv^2 from some pre-assumed equations

Hello! I am new to the differential version of classical physics, and I am trying to work how to derive kinetic energy from some pre-assumed equations:

Assume that we know: ##\ddot{z} = 0## and ##m\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = 0##This results in $$\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 = W = const.$$

How is the kinetic energy given here with our pre-assumptions? I am sure this is very simple, forgive me, I am a beginner.
If the applied force is constant, then ##\ddot{\textbf{r}}## is constant, and in particular, so is the direction of ##\dot{\textbf{r}}##, ala Newton's 2nd.

So
##\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = \ddot{r} \dot{r} \, cos( \theta )##
where ##\theta## is the angle between the acceleration and the velocity is constant.

So now you have
##m\ddot{r} \dot{r} cos( \theta ) = ( m \, cos( \theta ) ) \ddot{r} \dot{r} = 0##

Now note that
##\dfrac{d}{dt} ( \dot{r} )^2 = 2 \ddot{r} \dot{r}##

Can you finish?

-Dan

Likes exponent137
Start with ##K=\frac{1}{2}m(\mathbf{\dot r}\cdot \mathbf{\dot r}).##
Can you show that ##\dfrac{dK}{dt}=0~## if ##~\mathbf{\dot r}\cdot \mathbf{\ddot r}=0~?##

Here assume that ##\mathbf{r}=x~\mathbf{\hat x}+y~\mathbf{\hat y}+z~\mathbf{\hat z}.##

Likes topsquark

Related to Deriving formula for kinetic energy

What is the basic formula for kinetic energy?

The basic formula for kinetic energy (KE) is given by KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

How is the kinetic energy formula derived from work-energy principle?

The kinetic energy formula is derived from the work-energy principle, which states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. Starting from the work done by a force (W = F * d) and using Newton's second law (F = m * a), we integrate the acceleration over distance to arrive at KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.

Why is there a 1/2 factor in the kinetic energy formula?

The 1/2 factor comes from the integration process when deriving the formula. When you integrate the force over the distance, considering that force is mass times acceleration, and acceleration is the change in velocity over time, the factor of 1/2 naturally appears in the final expression.

Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. Since both mass (m) and the square of velocity (v^2) are always positive or zero, the kinetic energy, calculated as 1/2 * m * v^2, is always a non-negative value.

How does kinetic energy change with velocity?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that if the velocity of an object doubles, its kinetic energy increases by a factor of four (since (2v)^2 = 4v^2). Similarly, if the velocity triples, the kinetic energy increases by a factor of nine.