Deriving formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy

In summary, the author claims that the formula for kinetic energy can be derived from the definition of kinetic energy and using Newton's 2nd law. He goes on to state that if someone could tell him the steps omitted by the author, that would be great. He is confused by the integration variable and why m vanishes in the final limit for relativistic mass.
karkas

Homework Statement

Hey all,
I am encountering a problem with a derivation of the formula [tex] K_{ineticEnergy}=mc^2-m_{0}c^2[/tex] as it is described by my textbook. I need someone to explain to me how the author changes the integral and the upper limit of it in the final part. I'll now give you the equations.

Homework Equations

The author states that the formula can be derived straight from the definition of kinetic energy
[tex] K=\int^{s}_{0} Fds [/tex] and using Newton's 2nd law [tex] F= \frac{d(mu)}{dt}[/tex] we get
[tex]K=\int^{s}_{0}\frac{d(mu)}{dt}ds=\int^{mu}_{0}ud(mu)=\int^{u}_{0}ud(\frac{m_{0}u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}) [/tex]
and goes on in a way I can now follow.

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone could tell me the steps the author ommits that would be terrific. I've found that wikipedia's derivation of the formula doesn't have such confusing parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
karkas said:

Homework Statement

Hey all,
I am encountering a problem with a derivation of the formula [tex] K_{ineticEnergy}=mc^2-m_{0}c^2[/tex] as it is described by my textbook. I need someone to explain to me how the author changes the integral and the upper limit of it in the final part. I'll now give you the equations.

Homework Equations

The author states that the formula can be derived straight from the definition of kinetic energy
[tex] K=\int^{s}_{0} Fds [/tex] and using Newton's 2nd law [tex] F= \frac{d(mu)}{dt}[/tex] we get
[tex]K=\int^{s}_{0}\frac{d(mu)}{dt}ds=\int^{mu}_{0}ud(mu)=\int^{u}_{0}ud(\frac{m_{0}u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}) [/tex]
and goes on in a way I can now follow.

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone could tell me the steps the author ommits that would be terrific. I've found that wikipedia's derivation of the formula doesn't have such confusing parts.

No steps are omitted. One step relates to the quantity [itex]\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex] in the first integral, and the second step is simply writing the relativistic mass in terms of the rest mass.

Ok but there are some things I'm not sure about:

1) why does the upper limit change from s to mu, simply because we swap ds/dt for u and use d(mu) for the variable of integration, it just doesn't sound too strict mathematically to me.

2) why does m vanish in the final upper limit just because we use relativistic mass?

karkas said:
Ok but there are some things I'm not sure about:

1) why does the upper limit change from s to mu, simply because we swap ds/dt for u and use d(mu) for the variable of integration, it just doesn't sound too strict mathematically to me.

Integrating [itex]d(mu)[/itex] from one position to another position doesn't make sense, so the integral is written in terms of going from one momentum to another. There's nothing mathematically flawed about changing the variable of integration, and therefore changing the limits of the integration. Of course, this is one of those instances where just writing [itex]u = ds/dt[/itex] can get you in trouble, if you don't think about what else must change to accompany that if you're doing that operation inside an integral.

2) why does m vanish in the final upper limit just because we use relativistic mass?

For the same reason. The integration variable is no longer [itex]mu[/itex]; the integral depends only on [itex]u[/itex] at this point.

I see, I think I get it , thanks!

If you're at all ever confused about this sort of thing, never hesitate to do a formal variable substitution like you would for a traditional integral. The author is being lax, like physicists typically are, and assuming that the integral of [itex]ds[/itex] from the initial position to the final position is equivalent to the integral of [itex]d(mu)[/itex] from the initial momentum to the final momentum, since it is the same motion that is being integrated over in either case. This is of course obvious to the physicist, but it rightfully does make the mathematician shudder :)

Seeing as I'm studying Physics, this may be a bad sign

I didn't mean it like that all! It's only obvious to the physicist after you've had some practice with it (which you're now starting to get). One of the great things about being an undergrad is that you do it the hard way now, so that you can justify doing it the easy way for the rest of your career :)

This is Introductory physics? :O

Related to Deriving formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy

What is the formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

The formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy is E = (gamma - 1)mc^2, where gamma is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light.

How is Relativistic Kinetic Energy different from classical Kinetic Energy?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while classical Kinetic Energy only considers the object's mass and velocity.

What is the significance of the speed of light in the formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

The speed of light, c, is a fundamental constant in the universe and represents the maximum speed at which all objects can travel. It is a crucial factor in the formula for Relativistic Kinetic Energy as it shows the relationship between an object's mass and its energy as it approaches the speed of light.

Can Relativistic Kinetic Energy be applied to all objects?

Yes, Relativistic Kinetic Energy can be applied to all objects regardless of their mass or velocity. However, its effects may only be noticeable for objects moving at very high speeds, close to the speed of light.

How is Relativistic Kinetic Energy used in practical applications?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is used in various fields, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and is crucial in the development of technologies like nuclear power and particle accelerators.