Deriving Frenet-Serret Formulas: Why -τᴿ?

• I
  • Thread starter Arya Prasetya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary: T⋅T=1## to get##κ\hat{t}×\hat{t}×\hat{n} = κ(T(N⋅T)-N(T⋅T)) = κ(N-T)####\frac{d\hat{n}}{ds} = \hat{b}κ## so ##\hat{t}×\frac{d\hat{n}}{ds} = \hat{t}×\hat{b}κ = κ\hat{n}##. Therefore ##\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds} = κ\hat{n}##. In summary, the Frenet Serret Formulas involve the
Arya Prasetya
Hi, I'm trying to derive the Frenet Serret Formulas, but I am having trouble to understand why, after some checking, that the derivative of binormal vector is:

[itex]\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds}=-\tau\hat{n}[/itex]

I understand that, [itex]\hat{t}\wedge\frac{d\hat{n}}{ds}\parallel\hat{n}[/itex] and [itex]|\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds}|=\tau[/itex], but why the negative sign? Isn't it equally possible that it has a positve sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia has a nice write up on the Frenet Serret formulas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenet–Serret_formulas

B is the cross-product of T and N specifically:

B = T x N so this specifies a particular direction via the right-hand rule.

http://galileo.math.siu.edu/mikesullivan/Courses/251/S11/torsion.pdf

In part (c) of the proof, It looks like the ##-\tau## is chosen so that the formula for N' comes out without two negative terms in it.

Since ## \tau ## is simply a constant of proportionality, I believe the choice is arbitrary, but whatever sign that is used for ## \tau ## needs to be consistent with the other Frenet equation involving ## \tau ##. The equations with their choice of the sign of ## \tau ## is apparently somewhat standard. It's a somewhat specialized topic, but I think you might find most of the textbooks use the same sign convention.

Arya Prasetya said:
Hi, I'm trying to derive the Frenet Serret Formulas, but I am having trouble to understand why, after some checking, that the derivative of binormal vector is:

##\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds}=-\tau\hat{n}##

I understand that, ##\hat{t}\wedge\frac{d\hat{n}}{ds}\parallel\hat{n}[/itex] and [itex]|\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds}|=\tau##, but why the negative sign? Isn't it equally possible that it has a positive sign?

##\frac{d\hat{b}}{ds}= \frac{d\hat{t×n}}{ds}= \frac{d\hat{t}}{ds}×\hat{n} + d\hat{t}×\frac{d\hat{n}}{ds} = 0 + \hat{t}×κ\hat{b} = κ\hat{t}×\hat{t}×\hat{n}##

Now use the cross product identity ##T×T×N = T(T⋅N) - N(T⋅T)##

Last edited:

Related to Deriving Frenet-Serret Formulas: Why -τᴿ?

1. What is the purpose of deriving Frenet-Serret formulas?

The Frenet-Serret formulas are used to describe the motion of a curve in three-dimensional space. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the curvature, torsion, and unit tangent, normal, and binormal vectors of a curve at any given point along its length.

2. Why is the parameter τᴿ used in the Frenet-Serret formulas?

The parameter τᴿ is used to represent the torsion of a curve. Torsion is a measure of how much a curve twists or rotates around its tangent vector as it moves through space. The τᴿ parameter allows us to quantify and analyze this twisting motion.

3. How are the Frenet-Serret formulas derived?

The Frenet-Serret formulas are derived using vector calculus and differential equations. The process involves finding the derivatives of the position vector with respect to the arc length parameter, and then using these derivatives to calculate the curvature and torsion at each point along the curve.

4. Can the Frenet-Serret formulas be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, the Frenet-Serret formulas can be applied to any smooth curve in three-dimensional space. However, they are most commonly used for analyzing the motion of a particle or object moving along a curved path in three-dimensional space.

5. What practical applications do the Frenet-Serret formulas have?

The Frenet-Serret formulas have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to analyze the movement of objects in three-dimensional space, map the paths of celestial bodies, and create realistic animations of moving objects. They are also used in robotics and computer vision for motion planning and trajectory generation.