Deriving Peng-Robinson Entropy Departure Function

In summary, the Peng-Robinson equation is an equation of state used to describe the thermodynamic properties of fluids, taking into account molecular size and intermolecular forces. It can be rearranged to derive the entropy departure function, which measures the deviation of a fluid's entropy from that of an ideal gas. The entropy departure function is significant in thermodynamics as it allows for more accurate predictions of real fluids' properties. However, the Peng-Robinson equation and its entropy departure function have limitations, such as being most accurate for moderate pressures and temperatures and not considering critical constants and acentric factor. They are widely used in practical applications, including phase equilibria, process design and optimization, and estimating properties of mixtures and specific
cjc0117
EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. The two expressions are, in fact, equal.

An excerpt from a book at this link, http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~ddixon/Departure_Fxns.pdf, states that the entropy departure function for any equation of state is equal to the following (Eqn. 4.4-28):

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=RlnZ+\int^{v_{T,P}}_{v→∞}[(\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}-\frac{R}{v}]dv[/itex]

And that the specific entropy departure function for the Peng-Robinson EOS is (Eqn. 4.4-30):

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z-B)+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{2\sqrt{2}b}ln[\frac{Z+(1+\sqrt{2})B}{Z+(1-\sqrt{2})B}][/itex]

The Peng-Robinson EOS is:

[itex]P=\frac{RT}{v-b}-\frac{a}{v(v+b)+b(v-b)}[/itex]

Where:

[itex]a=0.45724\frac{R^{2}T^{2}_{c}}{P_{c}}[1+κ(1-\sqrt{\frac{T}{T_{c}}})]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]b=0.07780\frac{RT_{c}}{P_{c}}[/itex]

κ is a constant that depends on the acentricity of the specific chemical species.

The other parameters A,B, and Z used in the above equations are:

[itex]A=\frac{aP}{R^{2}T^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]B=\frac{Pb}{RT}[/itex]

[itex]Z=\frac{Pv}{RT}[/itex]

My problem is that I can't figure out how to derive the Peng-Robinson entropy departure function from the integral definition I gave above. When I evaluate [itex](\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}[/itex], I get:

[itex](\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}=\frac{R}{v-b}-\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{v(v+b)+b(v-b)}[/itex]

And when I evaluate the integral using this equation, I get:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z)+Rln(\frac{∞}{v})+Rln(\frac{v-b}{∞-b})+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln[(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})(\frac{\sqrt{(∞+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}}{∞+b(1+\sqrt{2})})][/itex]

After simplifying, I get:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln[\frac{Z(v-b)}{v}]+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})[/itex]

I've been able to find that [itex]Rln[\frac{Z(v-b)}{v}]=Rln(Z-B)[/itex], thus, the equation becomes:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z-B)+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})[/itex]

But I can't show whether this is the same as the equation given in the link (the second equation I gave in this post). And if it's not, where did I go wrong in the derivation?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. The two expressions are, in fact, equal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and thought process. I am always happy to see others engaging in critical thinking and problem solving. I am glad to see that you have been able to figure out the solution to your problem.

It is important to always question and verify our calculations, especially when dealing with complex equations and concepts. Your approach of breaking down the problem and evaluating each step is a great way to ensure accuracy and understanding.

In this case, I believe that your derivation is correct and the two expressions are indeed equal. However, if you would like further confirmation, I suggest consulting with your peers or a mentor to double check your work.

Keep up the good work and never stop questioning and learning. Best of luck in your scientific endeavors.

FAQ: Deriving Peng-Robinson Entropy Departure Function

1. What is the Peng-Robinson equation?

The Peng-Robinson equation is an equation of state commonly used to describe the thermodynamic properties of fluids. It is a modification of the van der Waals equation and takes into account the effects of molecular size and intermolecular forces.

2. How is the Peng-Robinson equation used to derive the entropy departure function?

The Peng-Robinson equation can be rearranged to solve for the entropy departure function, which is a measure of the deviation of a fluid's entropy from that of an ideal gas. This involves solving for the compressibility factor, which is then used to calculate the entropy departure function.

3. What is the significance of the entropy departure function in thermodynamics?

The entropy departure function is a useful tool in thermodynamics as it allows for more accurate predictions of the thermodynamic properties of real fluids. It takes into account the non-ideal behavior of fluids, which is important in many industrial processes and applications.

4. What are the limitations of the Peng-Robinson equation and its entropy departure function?

Although the Peng-Robinson equation and its entropy departure function are widely used, they have some limitations. They are most accurate for moderate pressures and temperatures, and may not be suitable for highly polar or associating fluids. Additionally, they do not take into account some important thermodynamic properties, such as critical constants and acentric factor.

5. How is the Peng-Robinson entropy departure function used in practical applications?

The Peng-Robinson entropy departure function is used in various thermodynamic calculations, such as determining phase equilibria, designing and optimizing chemical processes, and estimating thermodynamic properties of mixtures. It is also used in the development of equations of state for specific fluids and in the design of equipment for separation and purification processes.