Deriving Polar Coordinates Without Cartesian System

In summary, my book derives ##\displaystyle \frac{d \mathbf{r}}{dt}## by making the substitution ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}(\theta) = \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}}##, and then deriving it from there, concluding that ##\mathbf{v} = \dot{r} \hat{\mathbf{r}} + r \dot{\theta} \hat{\mathbf{\theta}}##.
Mr Davis 97
Any point on the plane can be specified with an ##r## and a ##\theta##, where ##\mathbf{r} = r \hat{\mathbf{r}}(\theta)##. From this, my book derives ##\displaystyle \frac{d \mathbf{r}}{dt}## by making the substitution ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}(\theta) = \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}}##, and then deriving it from there, concluding that ##\mathbf{v} = \dot{r} \hat{\mathbf{r}} + r \dot{\theta} \hat{\mathbf{\theta}}##.

My question is, is is possible to make the derivation without referring to a different coordinate system, the Cartesian system, when the substitution ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}(\theta) = \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}}## is made?

Science news on Phys.org
Sure. Just draw a diagram showing the origin O and the positions P and Q of the particle at times ##t## and ##t+\delta t##. Mark point T on the segment OQ that is distance ##|OP|## from O. The curve from P to T is a short part of the circumference of a circle. It has length ##|OP|\dot \theta \delta t## and joins the segment OQ at right angles. The segment ##TQ## has length ##\dot r\delta t##.

As ##\delta t\to 0## the shape ##TPQ## approaches a right-angled triangle, and we can derive the formula from that.

Likes Mr Davis 97
andrewkirk said:
Sure. Just draw a diagram showing the origin O and the positions P and Q of the particle at times ##t## and ##t+\delta t##. Mark point T on the segment OQ that is distance ##|OP|## from O. The curve from P to T is a short part of the circumference of a circle. It has length ##|OP|\dot \theta \delta t## and joins the segment OQ at right angles. The segment ##TQ## has length ##\dot r\delta t##.

As ##\delta t\to 0## the shape ##TPQ## approaches a right-angled triangle, and we can derive the formula from that.
That makes sense. I guess that answers my questions. Is there not a more analytical way though? That seems very geometric.

Well,$$
\frac{d}{dt} \left( r \hat{\mathbf{r}} \right) = \frac{dr}{dt} \hat{\mathbf{r}} + r \frac{d\hat{\mathbf{r}}}{dt}
= \frac{dr}{dt} \hat{\mathbf{r}} + r \frac{d\hat{\mathbf{r}}}{d\theta} \frac{d\theta}{dt}
$$So all that remains is to show ## d\hat{\mathbf{r}} / d\theta = \hat{\boldsymbol{\theta}}##. How to do that depends on how your book defines ##\hat{\boldsymbol{\theta}}##.

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97 and sophiecentaur
One more question. Going from Cartesian to polar is a change of coordinates. Also, ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## are basis vectors for ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Can we consider ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## to be a basis for ##\mathbb{R}^2## as well? Why or why not?

Mr Davis 97 said:
One more question. Going from Cartesian to polar is a change of coordinates. Also, ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## are basis vectors for ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Can we consider ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## to be a basis for ##\mathbb{R}^2## as well? Why or why not?
No, because the direction of ##\hat \theta## and ##\hat r## depend on the location of the point in whose tangent space they belong. Hence the two vectors are not well-defined without also specifying a reference point.

In contrast, ##\hat i## and ##\hat j## always point in the same direction, regardless of the reference location (tangent space).

However, at any given point other than the origin, ##\hat\theta## and ##\hat r## can be used as a basis for the tangent space at that point, which is isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^2##. We need to recognise the distinction between ##\mathbb R^2## as a manifold and ##\mathbb R^2## as an isomorph of the tangent space at a point in that manifold. Whether or not those terms mean anything to the reader will depend on whether they have done any differential geometry (calculus on manifolds).

Related to Deriving Polar Coordinates Without Cartesian System

1. How do you derive polar coordinates without using the Cartesian system?

The process of deriving polar coordinates without using the Cartesian system involves converting the coordinates from rectangular form to polar form. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem and the trigonometric functions sine and cosine.

2. Why would someone want to use polar coordinates instead of the Cartesian system?

Polar coordinates are often used in situations where the distance and angle from a central point are more important than the x and y coordinates. They are also useful in describing circular and symmetric shapes.

3. Can polar coordinates be converted back to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates can be converted back to Cartesian coordinates by using the formulas x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

4. What are the limitations of using polar coordinates?

One limitation of using polar coordinates is that they are not suitable for describing certain shapes, such as rectangles or squares. They also have limited use in 3-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-life applications of using polar coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are commonly used in radar systems, satellite communication, and calculating the position of objects in space.