Deriving Quadrapole Expansion of Charge Distribution

In summary: The Kroneker delta, \delta_{ij} just means that when i and j are not equal, that term does not contribute, since \delta_{ij}=0 for i\not=j and \delta_{ij}=1 for i=j.
yungman
[tex]V=\frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac {\rho(\vec r\;')}{\eta} \;d\;\tau'\;\hbox{ where }\; \vec{\eta} = \vec r - \vec r\;'[/tex]

[itex]\vec r\;[/itex] is the position vector of the field point and [itex]\;\vec r\;'\;[/itex] is the position vector of the source point.

Using multiple expansion, the quadrapole term of potential

[tex]V_{QUAD} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2r^3}\int(r\;')^n(3\;cos^2\theta'-1)\rho(\vec r\;')d\tau'[/tex]

The book go on to derive [itex]V_{QUAD}[/itex] into coordinate free equation and I am lost. Please explain to me how the steps work:

The book claimed

[tex]V_{QUAD}= \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2\; r^3} \sum ^{3}_{i,j=1}\left [ \hat r_i \hat r_j \int[3r'_i r'_j -(r')^2\delta_{ij}]\rho(\vec r\;')d\;\tau'\right ]\;=\;\frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2\; r^3} \left [ 3 \sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i \sum^3_{j=1} \sum^3_{j=1} \;=\; (r')^2\sum_{ij}\hat r_i\hat r_j \delta_{ij}\right]\rho(\vec r') \;d \;\tau'[/tex]

[tex]\hbox{ Where }\; \delta _{ij} = \; \begin{array}{cc} 1 & i=j \\ 0 & i \neq j \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i =\hat r \cdot \vec r\;' = r'cos\theta' = \sum ^{3}_{j=1} \hat r_j r'_j \;\hbox{ and }\;\sum_{i,j} \hat r_i \hat r_j \delta_{ij} = \sum \hat r_j \hat r_j = \hat r \cdot \hat r =1 [/tex]

Can anyone explain:
[tex]\sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i =\hat r \cdot \vec r\;' = r'cos\theta' = \sum ^{3}_{j=1} \hat r_j r'_j[/tex]

and

[tex] \sum \hat r_j \hat r_j = \hat r \cdot \hat r =1 [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

yungman said:
Can anyone explain:
[tex]\sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i =\hat r \cdot \vec r\;' = r'cos\theta' = \sum ^{3}_{j=1} \hat r_j r'_j[/tex]

and

[tex] \sum \hat r_j \hat r_j = \hat r \cdot \hat r =1 [/tex]

The first is just the definition of the dot product. i.e.:

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=A_1B_1+A_2B_2+A_3B_3=\sum_{i=1}^3A_iB_i=ABcos\theta[/tex]

The components are just numbered instead of lettered. A_1=A_x, and so on.

The second is just the dot product of a unit vector with itself. By definition, that is 1.

G01 said:
The first is just the definition of the dot product. i.e.:

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=A_1B_1+A_2B_2+A_3B_3=\sum_{i=1}^3A_iB_i=ABcos\theta[/tex]

The components are just numbered instead of lettered. A_1=A_x, and so on.

The second is just the dot product of a unit vector with itself. By definition, that is 1.

Thanks for your time.

Is that just mean both A and B are 3 space vector? Just that simple?! And they have to use the [itex]\sum_1^3[/itex] to confuse me?!

yungman said:
Thanks for your time.

Is that just mean both A and B are 3 space vector? Just that simple?! And they have to use the [itex]\sum_1^3[/itex] to confuse me?!

Yes, that's it. The point is that this notation is "coordinate free." It doesn't matter how you define your three orthogonal axes, the expression for the quadrupole potential in coordinate free notation will always look like this.

Using summation notation in this case, is just shorthand.

The Kroneker delta, [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] just means that when i and j are not equal, that term does not contribute, since [itex]\delta_{ij}=0[/itex] for [itex]i\not=j[/itex] and [itex]\delta_{ij}=1[/itex] for [itex]i=j[/itex].

G01 said:
Yes, that's it. The point is that this notation is "coordinate free." It doesn't matter how you define your three orthogonal axes, the expression for the quadrupole potential in coordinate free notation will always look like this.

Using summation notation in this case, is just shorthand.

The Kroneker delta, [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] just means that when i and j are not equal, that term does not contribute, since [itex]\delta_{ij}=0[/itex] for [itex]i\not=j[/itex] and [itex]\delta_{ij}=1[/itex] for [itex]i=j[/itex].

Thanks

I understand

[tex]\sum^3_{i=1}\vec r_i \vec r'_i = \vec r \cdot \vec r\;'[/tex]What is [tex]\sum ^3_{i,j=1} \hat r_i \hat r_j [/tex]?

FAQ: Deriving Quadrapole Expansion of Charge Distribution

1. What is the quadrapole expansion of charge distribution?

The quadrapole expansion of charge distribution is a mathematical representation of the electric potential generated by a distribution of charges. It is often used in electrostatics to approximate the electric field when the distance from the charges is much larger than their size.

2. How is the quadrapole expansion derived?

The quadrapole expansion is derived using the multipole expansion technique, which involves expressing the electric potential as a sum of terms that depend on the distance from the charges. By considering the contributions from the first two terms, the monopole and dipole, and neglecting higher order terms, we arrive at the quadrapole expansion.

3. What is the significance of the quadrapole expansion in physics?

The quadrapole expansion is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of electric fields in systems with complex charge distributions. It also provides insights into the behavior of multipole moments, which are important in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics.

4. Can the quadrapole expansion be used for any type of charge distribution?

Absolutely! The quadrapole expansion is a general mathematical tool that can be applied to any type of charge distribution, as long as the distance from the charges is much larger than their size. It is commonly used in cases where the charges are arranged in a symmetrical pattern, such as a sphere or a cylinder.

5. How accurate is the quadrapole expansion in approximating the electric field?

The accuracy of the quadrapole expansion depends on the complexity of the charge distribution and the distance from the charges. In general, it becomes less accurate as the distance from the charges decreases and higher order terms become significant. However, for most practical purposes, the quadrapole expansion provides a good approximation of the electric field and is widely used in many applications.