Deriving SOP and POS Forms of a 4-Var Kmap Function

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a 4 variable KMap with don't cares into a simplified SOP and POS form. The first part of the conversation presents a correct solution for the SOP form, while the second part discusses using DeMorgans and the dual form to obtain the POS form. The conversation also mentions a modification to KMaps to get POS instead of SOP.
kukumaluboy

Homework Statement

Hi my question is whether an SOP = POS for a given function F(A, B, C, D). Or is the SOP a complement of POS?Tasked to convert derive a simplfied SOP from a 4 var Kmap with don't cares.
My answer was,
F = C'.D' + A'.B'.C which is correct.

Then for part B they asked for the simplified POS form.

The Attempt at a Solution

F = C'.D' + A'.B'.C
F' = (C'.D' + A'.B'.C)' (Using Dmorg)
F' = ((c+d)' + (a+b+c')')' (Using Dmorg)
F' = (c+d)'.(a+b+c')'

F = ((c+d)'.(a+b+c')')'
F = (c+d) +(a+b+c') (Stuck here)If i used Kmap i got the answer which is
D.(B'+C').(A'+C')

I want to know the boolean algebra way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a modification to KMaps to get POS instead of SOP.
It involves instead of circling the 1's you circle the 0's
Prehaps look for it in your textbook? I only used it on the 1 assignment where we had to do it and then promptly forgot it.
The other way is to use applications of DeMorgans to get there. But that seems like a lot of work :) the POS KMap was much easier

Yea i got the KMap part. I want know the demorgans part

I'm not sure what you actually want. Sum of minterms can be converted to product of maxterms and that is equivalent.
The easy way to convert them is using a dual form (twice), so, you simply switch * and + (and 1 and 0) to obtain a dual function. Then multiply everything in order to again get a sum of minterms and use a dual.
In your case: f = C'D' + A'B'C
f_d = (C' + D') (A' + B' + C) = C'A' + C'B' + C'C + D'A' + D'B' + D'C = C'A' + C'B' + D'A' + D'B' + D'C
(f_d)_d = f = (C' + A')(C' + B)(D' + A')(D' + B')(D' + C')
If that's what you wanted. I don't know how you got: C'.D' + A'.B'.C == D.(B'+C').(A'+C'), because I can't get that. I can simplify my own form though, but I don't get your result.

Likes kukumaluboy

Related to Deriving SOP and POS Forms of a 4-Var Kmap Function

What is a 4-Var Kmap Function?

A 4-Var Kmap Function is a graphical representation of a Boolean function with four variables. It is used to simplify and analyze logic expressions and is commonly used in digital logic design.

What are SOP and POS forms?

SOP (Sum of Products) and POS (Product of Sums) are two standard forms used to represent Boolean functions. SOP form represents the OR operation of products, while POS form represents the AND operation of sums.

Why is it important to derive SOP and POS forms of a 4-Var Kmap Function?

Deriving SOP and POS forms allows for a more simplified and optimized version of the original Boolean function. This makes it easier to analyze and implement in digital logic circuits, resulting in better performance and efficiency.

What is the process for deriving SOP and POS forms from a 4-Var Kmap Function?

The process involves grouping the adjacent cells in the Kmap according to the number of ones in their binary representation. The groups are then combined to form the terms in the SOP or POS form, depending on the operation being used.

Are there any limitations to using Kmap and SOP/POS forms?

Kmap and SOP/POS forms are limited to Boolean functions with a small number of variables. As the number of variables increases, the Kmap becomes more complex and difficult to use, making it less efficient for simplifying the function.