Deriving stiffness of a node in finite element theory

In summary, the finite element method is a way to solve differential equations for systems. In this conversation, the user is asking how to solve a 1-dimensional rod displacement problem. The user provides a summary of the content and then asks for help in writing an example.
chandran
I want to derive the theory of finite element using my own understanding. With this derivation i want to understand the fea theory of rod element

I call the nodes as "points" in a structure.

This scenario is for a simple one dimensional displacement of points(that is the single degree of freedom nodes)

i have 4 points names 1,2,3,4 consecutively along a line and the displacement of each point is named as u1,u2,u3,u4. and force at each point as f1,f2,f3,f4. The displacements will occur only along a line.

There are elements between the nodes signifying the stiffness. The elements have stiffness named,K1,K2,K3.

here K1 is the element between point 1 and 2 K2 between point 2 and 3 and K3 between point 3 and 4.

Now i am writing an equation for displacement of point 1

u1=f1/stiffness. How can i derive the stiffness.

I can say the stiffness is equal to K1 and say u=f1/K1 if and only if u2=0. But u2 may have a definite displacement in this scenario.

so what is the equation of u1

Physics news on Phys.org
unless you are actually trying to model some sort of physical material (ie a rod made out of steel), you can choose any numerical value you want for your stiffnesses.

The point of finite element analysis, is to take the governing differential equation of a system and solve for its weak form (integral form). I don't think you're approach will teach you all that much about FEA.

I would suggest, looking into the Galerkin method for solving a 1-dimensional rod problem. you can find a solution by hand and it should give you a better idea of what FEA is all about.

if you have trouble finding any info on that, I would be happy to write out an example.

You have the basic equation:

F=k*u

For a single link, say link 1. It has two nodes, node 1 and node 2; two displacements, u1 and u2; two forces, F1 and F2. Link 1 has one stiffness, k1.

It ends up being two equations with two unknowns, where we consider the displacement of each node unknown, and the force at each node along with the link's stiffness known.

F1=k1*u1
F2=k1*u2

You can then think of the system of equations in terms of a linear algebra equation with matrices.

[F]=[[k]]*

Once the two equations are described as a linear algebraic equation, you can add in two more equations, and see how they would be added into one stiffness matrix...

Does that point you in the right direction?

lance,
can you write out an example

Related to Deriving stiffness of a node in finite element theory

1. What is finite element theory?

Finite element theory is a mathematical method used to solve problems in engineering and applied sciences. It involves breaking down a complex system into smaller and simpler parts, called finite elements, and using mathematical equations to model the behavior of the system as a whole.

2. What is the stiffness of a node in finite element theory?

The stiffness of a node in finite element theory refers to the resistance of a node to deformations or movements when external forces or loads are applied. It is a measure of how much a node will resist changes to its position or shape.

3. How is the stiffness of a node derived in finite element theory?

The stiffness of a node is derived by considering the behavior of the node under different loading conditions. This involves determining the forces and displacements at the node, and using the equations of equilibrium and compatibility to calculate the stiffness of the node.

4. Why is the stiffness of a node important in finite element theory?

The stiffness of a node is important in finite element theory because it directly affects the accuracy of the model. A higher stiffness means that the node will resist deformations more, resulting in a more accurate representation of the system's behavior.

5. What factors affect the stiffness of a node in finite element theory?

The stiffness of a node in finite element theory is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the node, the geometry of the node, and the boundary conditions or constraints applied to the node. It can also be influenced by the type of finite element used and the type of analysis being performed.