Deriving the 4d continuity equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity equation and its application using the Gauss theorem. It explains that the last step, \frac{ \partial {J^n}}{ \partial {x^n}} = 0, is simply a matter of using four-vector notation and the definition \partial_\mu J_\mu = 0, where Einstein's summation convention is used.
Thrice
Well we start out with

[tex]-\frac {d} {dt} \int_{V}^{} \sigma dV = \int_{\Pi}^{} \vec{J} \cdot d\vec{\Pi}[/tex]

Using the Gauss theorem

[tex]\int_{V}^{} (\frac{ \partial {\sigma}}{ \partial {t}} + div \vec{J}) dV = 0[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{ \partial {\sigma}}{ \partial {t}} + div \vec{J} = 0[/tex]

and written in 4D..

[tex]\frac{ \partial {J^n}}{ \partial {x^n}} = 0 \qquad\quad\ (n = 0,1,2,3)[/tex]

I can't seem to get my head around that last step. How does it expand out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok done editing.

This field is really confusing. Should I just gauss the answer?

Thrice said:
Well we start out with

[tex]-\frac {d} {dt} \int_{V}^{} \sigma dV = \int_{\Pi}^{} \vec{J} \cdot d\vec{\Pi}[/tex]

Using the Gauss theorem

[tex]\int_{V}^{} (\frac{ \partial {\sigma}}{ \partial {t}} + div \vec{J}) dV = 0[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{ \partial {\sigma}}{ \partial {t}} + div \vec{J} = 0[/tex]

and written in 4D..

[tex]\frac{ \partial {J^n}}{ \partial {x^n}} = 0 \qquad\quad\ (n = 0,1,2,3)[/tex]

I can't seem to get my head around that last step. How does it expand out?
Are you familiar with four-vector notation and so on? Then it is simply a question of definition that the last expression is [itex] \partial_\mu J_\mu =0[/itex] where Einstein's summation convention is used.

Yeah well I'm familiar with it, but I needed the definition spelled out. I eventually worked it out.

FAQ: Deriving the 4d continuity equation

1. What is the 4d continuity equation?

The 4d continuity equation is a mathematical representation of the conservation of mass and energy in a four-dimensional space-time. It describes how the flow of a certain quantity, such as mass or energy, is conserved over time and space.

2. How is the 4d continuity equation derived?

The 4d continuity equation is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of mass and energy, and the principles of calculus. It involves taking the divergence of a vector field representing the flow of the quantity in question.

3. What are the applications of the 4d continuity equation?

The 4d continuity equation has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of general relativity and cosmology.

4. How does the 4d continuity equation relate to the 3d continuity equation?

The 4d continuity equation is an extension of the 3d continuity equation, which only considers the conservation of a quantity in three-dimensional space. The 4d continuity equation takes into account the changes in the quantity over time, making it more comprehensive.

5. Are there any limitations to the 4d continuity equation?

The 4d continuity equation has its limitations, such as assuming a continuous and differentiable flow of the quantity, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not account for certain factors, such as external forces, which may affect the flow of the quantity.

Back