Deriving the Equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as

• Thread starter Marcsmeets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches and concepts for deriving the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as. Some suggest using energy and mass, while others suggest using other kinematic equations. It is noted that this equation assumes constant acceleration and only requires basic algebra or calculus.
Marcsmeets

Homework Statement

Derive the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as

I have no clue how to do this please can someone help!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that there is no t involved in this relationship. Look at your equations for distance and average acceleration and see how to eliminate t.

I don't know about you, but whenever I see velocity-squared terms I tend to think about kinetic energy... :wink:

gneill, I am sure you are correct but you can also derive this equation from two basic equations and energy principals are not required.

barryj said:
gneill, I am sure you are correct but you can also derive this equation from two basic equations and energy principals are not required.

Sure. But it's nice to have options. Some approaches are more intuitively obvious to different people.

If you use energy, then you have to introduce mass and this is not necessary.

barryj said:
If you use energy, then you have to introduce mass and this is not necessary.

Mass disappears by cancellation. No biggie. Or use specific energy :smile:

So why complicate a simple problem?

barryj said:
So why complicate a simple problem?

It's no more complicated an approach if you're familiar with the concept. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Let's wait to see what the OP comes up with.

Derive via using other kinematic equations?

Marcsmeets said:

Homework Statement

Derive the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as

I have no clue how to do this please can someone help!

Thank you!
Note that this equation is assuming that acceleration, the derivative of velocity with respect to time, is constant. This is, then, just a simple exercise in calculus.

Hi Marksmeets. Welcome to Physics Forums. We can best answer your question if we know whether you have had calculus yet. Have you?

I'm thinking if its an intro class then there's no calculus and just want you to use other kinematic equations to this one. I remember having a question where it was just that for intro physics but I can't be certain about op.

This is definitely an intro physics question. Only algebra 1 is needed, that is if you have the two kinematic equations.

FAQ: Deriving the Equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as

1. What does the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as represent?

The equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as represents the relationship between an object's initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and displacement (s) in a straight line motion.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived by using the equations of motion and the kinematic equations. It can also be derived using calculus and Newton's laws of motion.

3. Can this equation be used for all types of motion?

No, this equation can only be applied to objects moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. It cannot be used for circular or complex motion.

4. What is the significance of this equation in physics?

This equation is significant as it helps in calculating the final velocity or displacement of an object with a known initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It is widely used in kinematics and is also a fundamental equation in Newton's laws of motion.

5. How does changing the values of u, a, or s affect the final velocity of an object?

Changing the values of u, a, or s will directly affect the final velocity of an object. Increasing the initial velocity or acceleration will result in a higher final velocity, while increasing the displacement will lead to a lower final velocity.

Back