Deriving the formula for a partially filled sphere using spherical polars.

In summary, the formula for finding the volume of a partially filled sphere using spherical polars is given by \int_{0}^{\cos^{-1}(h/a) } \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{h}^{a} r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr =2\pi (a^3 - h a^2 ). The volume element for a sphere in spherical polars is dv=r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr, and the volume can be obtained by integrating this over the appropriate limits. The limits for the integral are set to \cos^{-1}(h/a) for \theta
Azelketh

Homework Statement

Deriving the formula for a partially filled sphere using spherical polars. Note this is not a homework problem , I have solved it using a cylindrical slice method, just been bugging me about how to obtain the same result using spherical polars.if the sphere has a radius a, and is intersected by a plane where its distance from the centre of the sphere is h.
I am interested in the volume of the smaller of the regions bounded by the plane at distance h from the origin.

Homework Equations

Now the volume element of a sphere in spherical polars is given by;
[tex] dv=r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr [/tex]

giving volume as;

[tex]

V= \iiint r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

now as far as I have got is setting the limits to
[tex]

V= \int_{0}^{\cos(h/a)^-1} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{a} r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr =2\pi (a^3 - h a^2 )

[/tex]
I obtained the [tex] \theta [/tex] limit from the hastily drawn diagram here:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5101/hastilydrawnpaintdiagra.png

but this integral gives the volume of a conical slice.

so i think my question here is can anyone help with the setting of the limits of the integral to obtain the requiered volume?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for any helpThe solution: The volume element of a sphere in spherical polars is given by; dv=r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr giving volume as; V= \iiint r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr V= \int_{0}^{\cos^{-1}(h/a) } \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{h}^{a} r^2 \sin( \theta ) d\theta d\psi dr =2\pi (a^3 - h a^2 )

Related to Deriving the formula for a partially filled sphere using spherical polars.

1. What is the formula for a partially filled sphere using spherical polars?

The formula for a partially filled sphere using spherical polars is V = (πh^2/6)(3a - h), where V is the volume, h is the height of the filled portion, and a is the radius of the sphere.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived by integrating the volume element in spherical coordinates over the filled portion of the sphere. This involves using the spherical polar coordinates (r, θ, φ) and considering the volume as a sum of infinitesimal cones with varying heights and radii.

3. What are the limitations of this formula?

This formula assumes that the filled portion of the sphere is a segment of a cone, and thus does not accurately represent more complex shapes. It also assumes that the radius of the sphere is larger than the height of the filled portion.

4. Can this formula be applied to other shapes besides spheres?

No, this formula is specific to partially filled spheres and cannot be applied to other shapes. However, similar formulas can be derived for other shapes using different coordinate systems.

5. How is this formula useful in practical applications?

This formula is useful in calculating the volume of liquids or other substances in partially filled spherical containers, such as tanks or silos. It can also be used in engineering and physics calculations involving spherical objects.