Deriving torque from a B field on a magnetic Loop

In summary, the problem involves a wire ring with a counter clockwise current I in the xy-plane with its center at the origin, and a uniform magnetic field B in the +x direction. The goal is to find dF and d(tau) using given equations and vectors. The attempt involves finding dL and dF, but gets stuck when trying to find d(tau). The final result is tau = mu x B.
Escher360

Homework Statement

A wire ring lies in the xy-plane with its center at the origin. The ring carries a counter clockwise current I. A uniform magnetic fireld B is the the +x direction.
There are a few parts to the question (Note: Everything except for I is a vector):
1. show that dL = R*d(theta)*(-sin(theta)i + cos(theta)j) and from this Find dF = I*dL x B
2. From part 1, find d(tau) = r x dF. Where r = R(cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j) is the vector from the center of the loop of the element to dl. (dl is perpendicular to r). Show that the result can be written as: tau = mu x B.

Homework Equations

dL = R*d(theta)*(-sin(theta)i + cos(theta)j)
dF = I*dL x B
d(tau) = r x dF
r = R(cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j)
tau = mu x B
i is the x-direction
and j is in the y.

The Attempt at a Solution

Probably not worth writing

Physics news on Phys.org
out the attempt because I got stuck. 1. dL = R*d(theta)*(-sin(theta)i + cos(theta)j)2. dF = I*dL x B = I*R*d(theta)*(-sin(theta)i + cos(theta)j) x B 3. d(tau) = r x dF = R(cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j) x I*R*d(theta)*(-sin(theta)i + cos(theta)j) x B 4. tau = mu x B Not sure what to do here.

it all out, but essentially you are deriving the torque equation for a magnetic loop in a uniform magnetic field. By using the right hand rule and cross product, you can show that the torque is given by the product of the magnetic moment (mu) and the magnetic field (B). This is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism and is used in many applications, such as electric motors and generators. The derivation also shows that the torque is dependent on the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field, which is an important concept to understand in electromagnetism. Overall, this exercise is a good way to solidify your understanding of torque and the relationship between magnetic fields and currents.

Related to Deriving torque from a B field on a magnetic Loop

1. How is torque derived from a B field on a magnetic loop?

Torque is derived from a B field on a magnetic loop through the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the loop. When the loop is placed in a B field, the magnetic moment of the loop aligns itself with the direction of the B field, resulting in a torque being exerted on the loop.

2. What factors affect the torque on a magnetic loop in a B field?

The torque on a magnetic loop in a B field is affected by the strength of the B field, the area of the loop, and the angle between the direction of the B field and the normal vector of the loop.

3. How is the direction of the torque determined in a magnetic loop?

The direction of the torque on a magnetic loop in a B field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the B field, then your thumb will point in the direction of the torque on the loop.

4. Can the torque on a magnetic loop be controlled?

Yes, the torque on a magnetic loop can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the B field, as well as the dimensions and orientation of the loop.

5. What are some practical applications of deriving torque from a B field on a magnetic loop?

Some practical applications of this phenomenon include electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in various scientific experiments and measurements, such as in the study of magnetic materials and the determination of magnetic moments.

Back