Deriving wave equation from Lagrangian density

In summary, the authors have provided an example of waves on a string and explained the derivation of the action and Lagrangian density. They also provided pointers on how to follow the example through.
sciencegem
Hi,
This is a worked example in the text I'm independently studying. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but I am stupidly having trouble understanding how one step leads to the other, so was hoping someone could give me a little more of an in-depth idea of the derivation. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Consider waves on a string of mass m and length l. Let us define the mass density p=m/l, tension T and displacement from the equilibrium ψ(x,t). The kinetic energy T can then be written as T=(1/2)∫[itex]^{l}_{0}[/itex]dxp([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t)^2 and the potential energy V=(1/2)∫[itex]^{l}_{0}[/itex]dxT([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)^2. The action is then

S|ψ(x,t)|=∫dt(T-V)=∫dtdxL(ψ,[itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t,[itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)

where

L(ψ,[itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t,[itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)=p/2([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t)^2 - T/2([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x)^2

is the Lagrangian density. We then have immediately

0=δS/δψ=[itex]\partial[/itex]L/[itex]\partial[/itex]ψ - (d/dx)[itex]\partial[/itex]L/[itex]\partial[/itex]([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x) - (d/dt)[itex]\partial[/itex]L/[itex]\partial[/itex]([itex]\partial[/itex]ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t)

=0 + T([itex]\partial[/itex]^2ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]x^2) - p([itex]\partial[/itex]^2ψ/[itex]\partial[/itex]t^2)

Of which the wave equation falls out effortlessly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sciencegem

I know exactly where this has come from as I am also independently studying the same text. I think I can give you some pointers to help follow this example through. I take the expressions for the kinetic and potential energies as given. The expressions for the action and Lagrangian density follow directly from the definitions with no calculation involved beyond plugging the expressions for the kinetic and potential energy in.

The key step is the expression for the functional derivative of the action following the words "we then have immediately". Here the authors have used a different version of the Euler-Lagrange equation than the one they derived in example 1.3 of the book. The one they previously derived is for a function of a single variable and its first derivative. Here we have two independent variables (x and t) and their first derivatives. Deriving this version of the Euler-Lagrange equation involves a double integral hence the expression for the functional derivative of the action involves the Lagrangian density rather then the Lagrangian.

We then simply plug in the expression we previously derived for the Lagrangian density and the rest follows from simple algebra.

I hope that is somewhat helpful. The details of deriving the Euler-Lagrange equation for several independent variables are available fairly easily from a google search.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Darktobz , that was very helpful!

Related to Deriving wave equation from Lagrangian density

1. What is the Lagrangian density?

The Lagrangian density is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of a system, and is typically denoted by the symbol L.

2. How is the Lagrangian density related to the wave equation?

The Lagrangian density can be used to derive the wave equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of a wave through a medium. By using the principle of least action and applying the Euler-Lagrange equation, the wave equation can be obtained from the Lagrangian density.

3. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is used to derive the equations of motion for a system.

4. How is the wave equation derived from the Lagrangian density?

To derive the wave equation from the Lagrangian density, the principle of least action is applied. This involves finding the path that minimizes the action, which leads to the Euler-Lagrange equation. By solving this equation, the wave equation can be obtained.

5. What are some applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many applications in various fields of physics and engineering. It is commonly used to study the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves in air or water waves in the ocean. It also has applications in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.