Describe a locus Algebraically

• Thread starter jvercetti
  • Start date
In summary, the locus of points equidistant from (0,0) and (-6,-6) is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment joining these two points. Geometrically, it is the line that crosses the midpoint of the segment at a right angle. Algebraically, the equation of this line can be found by finding the midpoint of the segment and using the formula for the equation of a perpendicular bisector.
jvercetti

Homework Statement

Describe the locus algebraically. Then graph the locus and describe the locus geometrically. Prove that the locus is the perpendicular bisector of the line joining the two points.
Locus of points equidistant from (0,0) and (-6, -6)

Homework Equations

None that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I have done so far:
Locus of points equidistant from (-3,0) and (5,0)
Geometric description: P(x,y) where PA= PB where A = (-3,0) and B is always isosceles.
The locus is the perpendicular bisector of line AB. This occurs because the locus crosses line AB at its midpoint.
Algebraic description: Confused Here :shy:
Graph:
MathsQuestion.jpg
Thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphically - I cannot see the locus.
Geometrically - B is isoceles? what is?
You have not yet shown the locus is a straight line, or that it is perpendicular to AB, in fact you have shown it at all.

Algebraically - what is the equation of the locus

?? In the problem statement you say "Locus of points equidistant from (0,0) and (-6, -6)" but in attempt at a solution you say "Locus of points equidistant from (-3,0) and (5,0)". Which is it?

In either case, you are correct that, geometrically, the locus is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment having those endpoints.

The "algebraic description" means the equation of that line. What are the coordinates of the midpoint of the given line segement? What is the slope of the line through the given points? What is the slope of the line perpendicular to that?

Finally, your graph shows (-3, 0) and (5,0) (but not (0,0) and (-6, -6)) and shows one example of a point on the locus but does not show the locus which is what you are asked to graph.

"The locus is the perpendicular bisector of line AB"

Actually, that should be "the locus is the perpendicular bisector of line segment AB." So, you just need the equation of the perpendicular bisector of that segment.

Ok sorry.. I found the mistake I was making with the question.. Sorry about typing the question wrong.. I mixed two questions up.. Anyways the question I had, I found the answer to.. Sorry for the trouble

Related to Describe a locus Algebraically

What is a locus in algebra?

A locus in algebra is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions. In other words, it is the path traced by a point or set of points as they move according to certain rules or constraints.

How do you describe a locus algebraically?

To describe a locus algebraically, you need to express the condition or conditions that define the set of points in terms of equations or inequalities. This means using variables, constants, and mathematical operations to represent the constraints that the points must satisfy.

What are some common forms of algebraic loci?

Some common forms of algebraic loci include lines, circles, parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas. These are geometric shapes that can be described using algebraic equations and inequalities.

What is the difference between a locus and a graph?

A locus and a graph are related concepts, but they serve different purposes. A locus is a set of points that satisfies a given condition, while a graph is a visual representation of the relationship between two or more variables. In other words, a locus is a mathematical concept, while a graph is a visual tool used to represent a mathematical concept.

How is a locus useful in mathematics?

A locus is useful in mathematics because it allows us to describe and analyze geometric shapes and their properties using algebraic equations and inequalities. This helps us to better understand and solve problems related to geometry, algebra, and other areas of mathematics.