Describing sensors from datasheet information

In summary: The different traces on the graphs show the open-loop and closed-loop gains. The open-loop gain can peak at some higher frequencies due to capacitive elements within the device producing some positive feedback. The closed-loop gain can peak at some higher frequencies due to capacitive elements within the device producing some positive feedback.
melanie707
There is a graph of voltage gain against frequency...but it seems like for a gain of 1, that the gain increases after a certain voltage... I know that that doesn't make sense and there is something I don't understand. I have attached a doc with the image from the datasheet in it.
How do I describe?!

Thanks!
Melanie

Attachments

• sensors for physics forums.docx
    274.4 KB · Views: 221
Physics news on Phys.org
The top trace is the open-loop gain and the bottom trace is the closed-loop gain with unity negative feedback.

The closed-loop gain can peak at some higher frequencies due to capacitive elements within the device producing some positive feedback. They don't show up at low frequencies because the capacitances look like open circuits at those lower frequencies.

The open-loop feedback should exhibit steeper slopes as the peaking frequencies are approached. The open loop is of course not data but just a Bode plot whereas the closed loop might be actual data. Only you know for sure ...

Hi rude man
thank you very much!

Iv'e attached a datasheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ina111.pdf ... since there are more than one lines on the graph, what does this mean the graph is showing?

melanie707 said:
There is a graph of voltage gain against frequency...but it seems like for a gain of 1, that the gain increases after a certain voltage... I know that that doesn't make sense and there is something I don't understand. I have attached a doc with the image from the datasheet in it.
How do I describe?!

Thanks!
Melanie

melanie707 said:
Hi rude man
thank you very much!

Iv'e attached a datasheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ina111.pdf ... since there are more than one lines on the graph, what does this mean the graph is showing?

Welcome to the PF.

Since this is your schoolwork, you are required to show some effort in answering the questions. What do *you* think is meant by the different traces on the graphs? What specifically is the schoolwork question asking for?

And the datasheet is for an Instrumentation Amplifier, not a sensor. Can you clarify?

Based on the information provided in the datasheet, it seems that the sensor has a non-linear relationship between voltage gain and frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the voltage gain may not increase at a constant rate. This could be due to various factors such as the design of the sensor or external influences. It is also possible that there may be a certain voltage threshold where the gain begins to increase at a faster rate. Without further information or testing, it is difficult to determine the exact reason for this behavior. It would be helpful to consult with the manufacturer or conduct additional experiments to better understand this relationship.

FAQ: Describing sensors from datasheet information

1. What is a sensor?

A sensor is a device that detects and measures physical or chemical properties of its surrounding environment and converts this information into a signal that can be read and analyzed by a human or a machine.

2. What types of sensors are commonly described in datasheets?

Common types of sensors described in datasheets include temperature sensors, pressure sensors, humidity sensors, motion sensors, light sensors, and chemical sensors.

3. What information can be found in a sensor datasheet?

A sensor datasheet typically includes information about the sensor's specifications, such as its operating range, accuracy, sensitivity, response time, power requirements, and output signal. It may also provide details about the sensor's construction, materials, and recommended usage conditions.

4. How can I interpret the technical terms and abbreviations in a sensor datasheet?

To interpret the technical terms and abbreviations in a sensor datasheet, it is helpful to refer to the manufacturer's specifications and definitions. Additionally, researching the specific sensor type and consulting with experts in the field can provide a better understanding of the information presented in the datasheet.

5. How do I choose the right sensor for my project based on datasheet information?

To choose the right sensor for a project based on datasheet information, it is important to first identify the specific requirements and parameters needed for the project. Then, compare the specifications and features of different sensors in the datasheets to determine which one best meets the project's needs.