Design a Go Kart - Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners

In summary, if you want to build a go cart, you should start by learning about automobile design and construction. You can find information on how to do this online, or you can find a local mentor to help you learn.
Gurasees
Hi, i am a student of bachelors of mechanical engg. (2nd year). I want to build a go cart. But i don't know the basics. I don't know a thing about automobiles. I am learning the catia software for designing. But i don't know what kind of "calculations for go cart" must be required to design the cart in catia. I have to start from zero level. I want to know how to do calculations for the cart and design the chassis frame and decide the dimensions and all the other stuff (eg. steering, brakes, suspension etc.). Please suggest me where to start from.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Im no expert in design programs but I'd say pen and paper is the way to go. Just sketch a basic chassis and you can map out the torque and max speed, agility and what not.
I would assume if the program was worth it's wait in gold, it has a button where it automatically generates a chassis, based on what stats and parameters you give it, like how large you want the engine to be and how much torque you want the car to be able to steer. The thing to remember is that you always have to field test, things in real life are only 90 percent of what they are like on a computer, for instance the parts may be poorly calibrated and functioning incorrectly, or there may be hidden factors the computer forgot to compute.

Gurasees said:
Hi, i am a student of bachelors of mechanical engg. (2nd year). I want to build a go cart. But i don't know the basics. I don't know a thing about automobiles. I am learning the catia software for designing. But i don't know what kind of "calculations for go cart" must be required to design the cart in catia. I have to start from zero level. I want to know how to do calculations for the cart and design the chassis frame and decide the dimensions and all the other stuff (eg. steering, brakes, suspension etc.). Please suggest me where to start from.
Is this for a school project? Or a personal project on your own?

Do you know anybody local to you who may know a lot about vehicle design and construction? You should probably try to find a local mentor who can help you learn from the basics.

Likes Gurasees

Related to Design a Go Kart - Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners

1. What materials do I need to build a go kart?

To build a go kart, you will need a variety of materials including a frame, wheels and tires, an engine, steering system, brakes, and various hardware such as bolts and screws. You may also want to consider additional features such as a seat, seatbelt, and roll cage for safety.

2. How much does it cost to build a go kart?

The cost of building a go kart can vary depending on the quality of materials and parts you choose. On average, the cost can range from $500 to $2000. However, you can also opt for cheaper or more expensive options depending on your budget and preferences.

3. What tools do I need to build a go kart?

To build a go kart, you will need basic hand tools such as a wrench, screwdrivers, and pliers. You may also need power tools like a drill, saw, and angle grinder. It is important to have a variety of tools to ensure you have everything you need for the construction process.

4. Do I need any prior experience to build a go kart?

No, you do not need any prior experience to build a go kart. However, it is recommended to have some basic knowledge of mechanics and woodworking to ensure you can properly assemble and construct the go kart. It is also important to carefully follow a step-by-step guide to ensure the go kart is built safely and effectively.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when building a go kart?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when building a go kart. It is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses when using power tools. Additionally, make sure to carefully follow instructions and double-check all parts and connections to ensure the go kart is safe to use. It is also recommended to have an experienced adult supervise the construction process, especially for younger builders.