Design Bandpass Filter 300Hz-3000Hz | 8V Out Voltage

In summary, the student is trying to design a bandpass filter with a range of 300Hz to 3000Hz and an output voltage of less than 8V. They are using formulas from a textbook and trying to solve for the resistors and capacitors values. They found that small values for the capacitors and resistors resulted in resistance and capacitance values that were too close to each other, so they may need to try different values for the resistors and capacitors.
kadzuki2

Homework Statement

I have to design a bandpass filter (300Hz to 3000Hz). I have been given a variety of resistors and capacitors to work with.

Oh yes, another thing is that i need an output voltage that's <8V. I'm cascading it with another IC.

Capacitors - 10nF, 0.1µF, 0.33µF, 0.47µF, 1µF, 4.7µF, 100µF, 220µF

Resistors - 100, 330, 1K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.6K, 10K, 22K, 47K

I have tried using my textbooks as a reference and i used a given example. Then i tried working from there on...

Homework Equations

Some of the formulas given are.. (With reference with my http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9781/image3kq1.png" )

http://www.testdesigner.com/include/math/images/-1926637852.png

http://www.testdesigner.com/include/math/images/639695238.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using those formulas, however the best i got was either very small resistance with high capacitance or vice versa.

Am i doing it the right way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have 2 equations with 4 unknowns, you must assign arbitrary values to 2 of the unknowns.
Electrolytic capacitors are not reliable and should be used mainly as bypass or coupling elements.
I suggest that you choose small values for the capacitors and calculate the value of the resistors.

Yep, thanks!

I used a fixed value of 0.47µF for the capacitance. Got [tex]\approx[/tex] 1K and 100 for the resistances :smile:

It's just a matter of trial and error i guess.

kadzuki2 said:
Yep, thanks!

I used a fixed value of 0.47µF for the capacitance. Got [tex]\approx[/tex] 1K and 100 for the resistances :smile:

It's just a matter of trial and error i guess.

.47mF and 100 ohm give 3388hz which is close, might want to use 0.1mF and some combination of resistors to get closer for you homework! Don't know your teacher. You give 90% of the answer might score you 90% of the points!

Related to Design Bandpass Filter 300Hz-3000Hz | 8V Out Voltage

1. What is a bandpass filter?

A bandpass filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating all other frequencies. It is commonly used to isolate a specific frequency range from a larger signal.

2. How do I design a bandpass filter for a specific frequency range?

To design a bandpass filter, you will need to determine the center frequency and bandwidth for your desired frequency range. Then, you can use different types of filters, such as active or passive filters, and calculate the necessary component values to achieve the desired frequency response.

3. What is the significance of the 300Hz-3000Hz frequency range in this design?

The 300Hz-3000Hz frequency range is commonly referred to as the audio frequency range and is used for many applications, such as speech and music. By designing a bandpass filter for this range, you can isolate and amplify the specific frequencies needed for these types of signals.

4. What is the output voltage of this bandpass filter?

The output voltage of this bandpass filter is 8V. This means that the filter will amplify the signal in the specified frequency range to a maximum of 8V, while attenuating all other frequencies.

5. Can this bandpass filter be used for other frequency ranges?

Yes, this bandpass filter can be designed for different frequency ranges by adjusting the component values accordingly. However, the center frequency and bandwidth may need to be changed to achieve the desired frequency response.