Design experiment to test air conditioner performance at different ambient temps

In summary, the conversation discusses using a test facility to experimentally determine the effect of temperature on the performance of a window type air conditioner. The formula for COP is mentioned but deemed ineffective for this purpose. The recommended approach is to use a temperature-controlled "outdoors" room and a thermally insulated "indoor" room to measure the energy and temperature changes of the air conditioner as it runs. The performance can then be calculated using the formula COP = CΔTi/E.
chelcers

Homework Statement

I have access to a test facility for window type air conditioners that has a small room that is used to simulate the outdoors. I need to use the facility to test the effect of temperature on the performance of one of our window type AC units. The performance must e done as a function of temperature at the different air conditioner settings.

Homework Equations

COP = Q/W = 1/ (T_outside/T_inside - 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think finding the COP at different temps would give a good representation of the AC performance but I'm not sure how to experimentally determine this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is for a reversible process and so is all but useless for what you're trying to do, except to see how much lower your COP is compared to that of a reversible (e.g. Carnot) process.

You say you have a room set aside to simulate the outdoors. I hope you also have a room set aside for the indoors. The "outdoors" room should be temperature-controlled, call it To. The "indoor" room should be thermally insulated and its dimensions known, so you can determine the heat capacity of the air C. Record the "indoor" temperature = Ti. You then run the a/c until Ti has decreased by ΔTi deg C. Meanwhile you have a wattmeter or power meter hooked up so you know the energy E used to raise Ti by ΔTi deg.

The performance (efficiency) of the unit at each set temperature To is then COP = CΔTi/E. I would use ΔTi = 2 or 3 deg C.

You can get handy plug-in power meters from companies like Belkin.

Related to Design experiment to test air conditioner performance at different ambient temps

1. How do you measure the performance of an air conditioner at different ambient temperatures?

The performance of an air conditioner can be measured by calculating its cooling capacity, energy efficiency, and air flow rate. These measurements can be taken using specialized equipment such as a BTU meter, wattmeter, and anemometer.

2. What are the variables that need to be controlled in the experiment?

The variables that need to be controlled in this experiment are the ambient temperature, the type and size of the air conditioner, the air flow rate, and the duration of the experiment. These variables should be kept constant to ensure accurate and reliable results.

3. How many different ambient temperatures should be tested?

It is recommended to test at least 3-5 different ambient temperatures to get a comprehensive understanding of the air conditioner's performance. These temperatures should cover a wide range, from low to high, to accurately assess the unit's performance in various conditions.

4. What is the best way to record and analyze the data collected?

The data collected can be recorded using a data logger or by manually recording the readings at regular intervals. Once the data is collected, it can be analyzed using statistical methods such as regression analysis or ANOVA to determine any significant patterns or trends.

5. How can the experiment be replicated to ensure validity of the results?

The experiment can be replicated by following the same procedures and using the same equipment to test the air conditioner's performance at different ambient temperatures. This will ensure the validity of the results and allow for comparison between the different trials.