Design of Cheap Packaging for Pressure Sensor (Piezoresistive)

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a packaging for a pressure sensor and the use of parylene as a cover. The individual is using ANSYS to determine the optimal thickness of the parylene layer and is interested in the "cushioning effect" of an extra PDMS layer on the sensor's sensitivity. They are also applying pressure to the model to analyze displacement and stress on the diaphragm. They have found similar approaches in other papers but are seeking confirmation on the effect of the parylene layer on sensor performance.
RogelioAguirre
Dear Colleagues,
I am working in the design of one packaging for pressure sensor (piezoresistive), this packaging should be really cheap, I want to use a layer of parylene to cover the surface of the Silicon Pressure sensor, which include the diaphragm with the piezoresistive materials, I am using ANSYS to select the optimal thickness of the layer of parylene.

Currently I am using a simple linear and isotropic model, that is just a diaphragm of silicon of thickness 80 um and over the this diaphragm, a layer of 4um of Parylene, I am just interested in know the "cushioning effect" of my the extra PDMS layer over my sensor, that is, the loss of sensitivity. The data for the PDMS I am using is:
Young modulus 2.7 GPA
Poisson Ratio 0.4

Then I am applying the pressure to the model over the Parylene Area, and getting the displacement and stress in the area of the diaphragm of my pressure sensor, that is, just below of the parylene layer. Is this approach correct? I found some papers using an approach very similar to my idea, but I want to check with you guys. What I want to know is the effect of the Parylene layer on the performance of my sensor.

I hope you can help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Design of Cheap Packaging for Pressure Sensor (Piezoresistive)

1. What is the purpose of designing cheap packaging for a pressure sensor?

The basic purpose of designing cheap packaging for a pressure sensor is to reduce the overall cost of the sensor without compromising on its functionality and accuracy. This allows for wider adoption and use of pressure sensors in various industries and applications.

2. How is the design of cheap packaging for a pressure sensor different from regular packaging?

The design of cheap packaging for a pressure sensor focuses on cost-effectiveness and simplicity, while regular packaging may prioritize aesthetics and durability. Cheap packaging for a pressure sensor may also involve using less expensive materials and simpler manufacturing processes.

3. What are some common materials used in designing cheap packaging for a pressure sensor?

Some common materials used in designing cheap packaging for a pressure sensor include plastic, rubber, and low-cost metals such as aluminum or tin. These materials are easily accessible and can be mass-produced at a lower cost compared to more specialized materials.

4. Is it possible to maintain the accuracy and reliability of a pressure sensor with cheap packaging?

Yes, it is possible to maintain the accuracy and reliability of a pressure sensor with cheap packaging. The design and material selection for the packaging are crucial in ensuring that the sensor functions properly. Additionally, proper calibration and testing can also help maintain accuracy and reliability.

5. Can the design of cheap packaging for a pressure sensor be customized for specific applications?

Yes, the design of cheap packaging for a pressure sensor can be customized for specific applications. Different industries and applications may have different requirements, and the packaging can be tailored to meet those needs while still maintaining cost-effectiveness. This may involve adjusting the size, shape, and materials used for the packaging.