Designing a Faraday Cage for Precision Resistor Network & DVM

In summary, the size of the "holes" in the shield is dictated by what EM frequencies you want to block out. It is not necessary to use holes.
jonlg_uk
Hello I am building a Faraday cage, I cannot find any decent information on the designing one. I plan to use it to shield a precision resistor network and 8 1/2 digit DVM in order to measure Low Frequency noise of a HV power supply.

I need to know what dictates the size of the "holes" in the shield and what is the best material to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The size of the holes is dictated by what EM frequencies you want to block out.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you need holes. It depends on use.

jarednjames said:
The size of the holes is dictated by what EM frequencies you want to block out.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you need holes. It depends on use.

I don't think you need holes either, however it will keep the cost of the cage down if I use a chicken wire type material. I plan to measure low frequency noise generated by a HV power supply. I cannot find any type of calculations that govern the size of these holes.

What kind of noise are you having problem with?
Note that "chicken wire" will be completely useless if your problems are due to inductive pick-up(which is very often the case at low frequencies); in order to shield that you need mu-metal shields (with no holes).

f95toli said:
What kind of noise are you having problem with?
Note that "chicken wire" will be completely useless if your problems are due to inductive pick-up(which is very often the case at low frequencies); in order to shield that you need mu-metal shields (with no holes).

I anticipate the main pickup will be from 240VAC and other high frequencies from microwave networks, to nearby switch mode power supplies. Ideally I would like to block all frequencies. However since I will be measuring the Low frequency noise generated by the HV power supply it is essential that I block frequencies below 100Hz.

Do you know how much a sheet of my-metal costs?

Related to Designing a Faraday Cage for Precision Resistor Network & DVM

1. How does a Faraday Cage protect precision resistors and DVMs?

A Faraday Cage is a metallic enclosure that blocks external electric fields and electromagnetic waves from entering the cage. This means that any sensitive electronic components, such as precision resistors and DVMs, inside the cage will be protected from external interference.

2. What is the ideal material for constructing a Faraday Cage for precision resistors and DVMs?

The ideal material for constructing a Faraday Cage is a highly conductive metal, such as copper or aluminum. These materials have low resistance, which allows them to effectively block external electromagnetic fields.

3. How do I design a Faraday Cage for my specific precision resistor network and DVM?

To design a Faraday Cage for your specific precision resistor network and DVM, you will need to determine the size and shape of the enclosure based on the dimensions of your components. It is recommended to have at least an inch of space between the components and the walls of the cage to prevent any interference.

4. Can I use a pre-made Faraday Cage for my precision resistor network and DVM?

Yes, pre-made Faraday Cages are available for purchase and can be used for protecting your precision resistor network and DVM. However, it is important to ensure that the cage is the right size for your components and that it is made from a highly conductive material.

5. Do I need to ground my Faraday Cage for it to be effective?

Yes, grounding is an essential step in ensuring the effectiveness of a Faraday Cage. This involves connecting the cage to a ground source, such as a metal stake in the ground or a grounded outlet. This allows any external electromagnetic fields to be safely directed away from the cage and its contents.