Designing a Rotary Traffic Flow Model: Variables and Flow Chart Example

• Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the conversation discusses a traffic flow model of a rotary and the use of 10 variables, with x_8 being the total flow of vehicles per hour. The conversation also mentions the dependence of x_8 on two independent variables, s and t, and the creation of an example of the flow. The model is set up to ensure positive flow values.
sapiental

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm designing a traffic flow model of a rotary and created a basic flow chart. I have 10 variables in it. 1 variable is the total flow of vehicles per hour in the rotary = x_8

7 other variables are all dependent on x_8 with x_4 = x_8

but x_8 is also dependent on 2 other independent variables. s and t

what I have doe basically created a flow in and out of the rotary. but, s,t are independent variables. My professor asked to create an example of the flow.

Since s and t are independent values. can i just say that they are generated by some function. he doesn't ask for the functions specifically, rather how they would add to the flow.

Can I say that t is the amount of flow in the inner rotary

and s is the flow of cars trying to switch into different lanes or exists?

since the total flow added orsubtracted from the system is x_8 = 2t - s

i set this model up so that flow in any direction is always positive since u can't have negative cars per hour.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!Homework Equations x_8 = 2t - sThe Attempt at a SolutionYes, you can say that t is the amount of flow in the inner rotary and s is the flow of cars trying to switch into different lanes or exits. This makes sense because the total flow added or subtracted from the system is x_8 = 2t - s. By setting up the model so that the flow in any direction is always positive, you are ensuring that the values of x_8 and the other variables remain positive.

Related to Designing a Rotary Traffic Flow Model: Variables and Flow Chart Example

What is traffic flow?

Traffic flow refers to the movement of vehicles and pedestrians on a road or network of roads.

What factors affect traffic flow?

Factors that affect traffic flow include the number and types of vehicles on the road, road conditions, weather, and traffic signals.

What is the difference between traffic flow and traffic congestion?

Traffic flow refers to the movement of vehicles, while traffic congestion refers to a condition where there is a significant amount of traffic on the road, causing delays and slow speeds.

How can traffic flow be improved?

Traffic flow can be improved by implementing efficient traffic management strategies, such as optimizing signal timing, adding dedicated turn lanes, and implementing intelligent transportation systems.

What is the purpose of studying traffic flow?

Studying traffic flow allows us to better understand how transportation systems function and how they can be improved to increase efficiency and safety for drivers and pedestrians.