Designing a Variable Gain Voltage Divider Circuit

In summary, the voltage divider circuit has two resistors, R1 and R2, and a potentiometer. When the slider is moved between the two resistors, the voltage across the potentiometer changes. The equation for the voltage across the potentiometer is Vo = [kR/R]Vi.
VitaX

Homework Statement

Using a 100-kOhm potentiometer and suitable external resistances, design a voltage divider circuit such that varying the wiper from end to end varies the gain over the range:
a) 0 to 0.75 V/V
b) 0.2 V/V to 1 V/V
c) 0.1 V/V to 0.9 V/V

Homework Equations

Not Sure to be honest

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know where to start on this problem at all. I don't think it is as complicated as it seems to be but my professor is absolutely horrid at teaching, and I really have no idea to go about solving this. What equations are relevant here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book had this diagram drawn for the answer in the book along with the answers to parts a-c.

[PLAIN]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5962/voltagedivider.png

a) R1 = 33.3 k Ohms, R2 = 0
b) R1 = 0, R2 = 25 k Ohms
c) R1 = R2 = 12.5 k Ohms

And I looked at the voltage divider information on that site you linked but I'm still as lost as ever. For one it doesn't look like the picture above. I'm a little lost on how to find R1 and R2 in those equations when I have 2 unknowns and only one equation as well. And what does the 100 K Ohms fit into in those equations? I don't know perhaps I'm missing something here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vo/Vi = 1/[1+R1/R2] and I plugged in 3/4 V/V for Vo/Vi and when I solved for the ratio, I got R2/R1 = 3. The answer to part a is R1 = 33.3 k Ohms, but I get R2 = 33.3 k Ohms, since R2 was in the numerator when I solved for the ratio. So basically I just take the 100 K Ohm Potentiometer and divide by the ratio and that gives me the value for the resistor in the numerator? I think I'm on the right track but if someone could point out a mistake or something, it'd make this go easier as I'm just winging it at the moment.

The 100K resistance is given by the problem. You are perhaps missing the understanding of how a potentiometer works.

Let's look at question (a) first. Imagine the slider being at the top position, i.e, between R1 and the 100K resistor. Can you find V0 in terms of Vi? Now imagine the slider being all the way to the other end so that R1 and the 100K are on one side of it and R2 on the other. Again can you find V0 in terms of Vi? Note that you have two conditions that should give two equations from which you can find R1 and R2.

Similar reasoning applies to questions (b) and (c).

VitaX said:
Vo/Vi = 1/[1+R1/R2] and I plugged in 3/4 V/V for Vo/Vi and when I solved for the ratio, I got R2/R1 = 3.
You need to find Vo/Vi at an "intermediate" position of the slider, i.e. when the resistance is R1+r on one side and (100K-r)+R2 on the other. Then evaluate Vo/Vi when r = 0 (slider all the way up) and r=100K (slider all the way down) and set each result equal to what you want it to be. This will clarify to you what you are doing.

I'm still a bit confused here, but I came across this formula. Vo = [kR/R]Vi or Vo = k*Vi. But then according to this, k is that ratio Vo/Vi. I don't even know anymore this book doesn't have k in any of the main equations, that's one reason I'm confused. I see that the position between the wiper and the bottom lead is kR, where k is Vo/Vi and R is the total resistance of that potentiometer. But my problem is understanding where this is useful at in the equation Vo/Vi = 1/[1+R1/R2]. Perhaps I'm understanding you wrong, if I am I apologize, I'm just a little confused at the lack of information to go on in my notes and in the book. Perhaps if someone could write one equation for part a, I might be able to write the other one for part a and go from there.

Last edited:
[PLAIN]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5962/voltagedivider.png

Does this drawing make the problem clearer?

Last edited by a moderator:
VitaX said:
Does this drawing make the problem clearer?
This does not match your original drawing. I believe the drawing below is the one you should work from.

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
too late now I guess, but the majority of the class had no idea how to work this problem. It truly is worded oddly, plus the fact our teacher did no examples on it at all.

Related to Designing a Variable Gain Voltage Divider Circuit

What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is an electronic circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts based on the resistance values of its components. It is commonly used in electronic devices to reduce the voltage to a desired level.

What are the components of a voltage divider?

A voltage divider typically consists of two resistors connected in series. One resistor is known as the "upper" resistor and the other is the "lower" resistor. The input voltage is applied across the two resistors and the output voltage is taken from the connection between the two resistors.

How do you calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider?

The output voltage of a voltage divider can be calculated using the following formula: Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the upper resistor, and R2 is the resistance of the lower resistor.

What is the purpose of a voltage divider?

The main purpose of a voltage divider is to reduce the voltage to a desired level. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as powering electronic components that require a lower voltage than the input source provides, or measuring high voltages with a lower voltage measuring device.

What are some factors to consider when designing a voltage divider?

When designing a voltage divider, it is important to consider the input and output voltage levels, the desired output voltage, the power rating of the resistors, and the tolerance of the resistors. It is also important to choose resistors with appropriate values to ensure the output voltage is accurate and stable.

Back