Designing Lab to Prove F=ma with Spring Scale, Mass & String

In summary: So the experiment will still work, but it will be less accurate.I am design a lab to prove that F=ma. However i am only using a spring scale, 1 kg mass, string. I have come up with a procedure where you would attach the mass to the scale and accelerate the unit upward, recording the time it takes the unit to accelerate from 0-1m and the force shown in the scale. From these measurements i can find the acceleration and than prove that T-ma=mg. However, there is great percent of error as the acceleration by hand proves inconsistent. Is there anyway to get a constant acceleration by hand using the materials listed above?If your measurements are so unreliable why don't you use the weight and string
FUPA
I am designing a lab to prove that F=ma. However i am only using a spring scale, 1 kg mass, string. I have come up with a procedure where you would attach the mass to the scale and accelerate the unit upward, recording the time it takes the unit to accelerate from 0-1m and the force shown in the scale. From these measurements i can find the acceleration and than prove that T-ma=mg. However, there is great percent of error as the acceleration by hand proves inconsistent. Is there anyway to get a constant acceleration by hand using the materials listed above?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your measurements are so unreliable why don't you use the weight and string to construct a pendulum instead. You can more accurately measure the period of a pendulum for various lengths and, in the end, the period you calculate derives from Newton's Laws.

By the way, performing a single experiment does not "prove" the theory. You are verifying that it is consistent with your particular experiment.

Are you factoring gravitational acceleration into your experiment?

Well one of the things we did back in school to "prove F = ma" (actually it was more like "verify F = ma" because a proof is not possible using one case and revolving a theory around it) was the pendulum experiment. It is not possible to use an experiment to prove something in the pure form because in such an experiment, nonidealities will creep in and will distort your readings so if you use F = ma to check them, I'd believe it won't give you the same readings as your experiment. So the simplest way to do this, as Tide has suggested is the pendulum experiment.

F = ma was not mathematically proved from first principles, as are theorems of mathematics. It was based on experimental wisdom and conclusions. Newton's Laws are emperical relationships. They can be verified not proved this way.

Cheers
Vivek

Pendulum experiment? How would I verify its relation to F=ma mathmatically? I assume we are using P=2Pi sqrt(l/g). Recording the length and period?

Last edited:
There would be two steps. First you would "predict" the period using Newton's laws (F = ma) by resolving the components of the force. The formula for the dependence of the period on the length of the pendulum follows from that. You would then measure the period for various lengths thus verifying the dependence and the original postulate (F = ma).

Yes, indeed a simple pendulum can prove [itex] \vec{F} = m\vec{a} [/itex], and also it can be useful to learn Simple Harmonic Movement :smile:

Cyclovenom said:
Yes, indeed a simple pendulum can prove [itex] \vec{F} = m\vec{a} [/itex], and also it can be useful to learn Simple Harmonic Movement :smile:

It can also be useful to have some fun :smile: (after all Physics is fun isn't it).

I do not think you can prove F = ma, because F is not ma... It is only ma when the object remains constant mass under all circumstances of the forces. And obviously traveling at highspeed is an exception.

F is dp/dt...

PrudensOptimus said:
I do not think you can prove F = ma, because F is not ma... It is only ma when the object remains constant mass under all circumstances of the forces. And obviously traveling at highspeed is an exception.

F is dp/dt...

Yes, but he did refer to a constant mass.

Yes it was meant to be a school/college laboratory experiment (a starter). You can't have high speed motion and variable mass all in one bucket in a simple experiment; though your experimental readings in the simple pendulum experiment will be corrupted by non-inertial effects of the earth, air resistance and non-uniformity of the bob/string, nonzero mass of the string etc. You cannot possibly account for all of those without making further errors (you might for instance want to add a drag term to the left hand side of your differential equation but you'll be making an error in chosing the right drag term anyway!).

Related to Designing Lab to Prove F=ma with Spring Scale, Mass & String

1. How do I set up the lab to prove F=ma with a spring scale, mass, and string?

To set up the lab, you will need to attach the spring scale to a fixed point, such as a clamp or stand. Then, attach one end of the string to the spring scale and the other end to the mass. Make sure the string is taut and the mass is hanging freely. You can adjust the position of the mass to change the force applied.

2. How do I measure the force and acceleration in this lab?

To measure the force, you will need to read the measurement on the spring scale. Make sure to read the measurement at eye level to avoid parallax error. To measure the acceleration, you can use a timer to record the time it takes for the mass to travel a certain distance. Then, use the equation a = (2d)/t^2 to calculate the acceleration.

3. How many trials should I conduct in this lab?

It is recommended to conduct at least three trials for each mass to ensure accurate results. You can also increase the number of trials for more precise data. Make sure to record all your measurements and calculate an average for each trial.

4. How do I plot the data to prove F=ma?

To plot the data, you will need to create a graph with the force (F) on the y-axis and the acceleration (a) on the x-axis. Use a scatter plot to plot the data points for each trial. The graph should show a linear relationship, with a slope equal to the mass (m). This proves the equation F=ma.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this lab?

Some possible sources of error in this lab include friction between the string and the pulley, air resistance on the hanging mass, and human error in reading and recording the measurements. To minimize these errors, you can use a pulley with low friction, use a heavier mass to reduce air resistance, and take accurate and precise measurements.