Designing Structures on Mars: Factors to Consider for a Successful Mission

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics class project that involves designing a plan to create structures on Mars. Factors that need to be considered include mass, force, distance, gravity, and material strength and radiation resistance. Researching NASA's plans for a Mars mission is suggested as a starting point for the project.
psuedoben

Homework Statement

in my physics class i was tasked with designing a project of my choice that had to deal with physics mechanics. the project i chose was to design a plan to create structures on the Planet mars. I'm just having trouble what factors I'm going to need to include (within the bounds of a freshman in college's knowledge of physics) to complete this problem. some things i thought of were mass of the materials needed to bring to the planet along with the required force to send a rocket carrying that mass plus the ever decreasing mass of the fuel needed to complete the mission into space, distance from Mars at a given time, gravitational force on mars, force required to lower a module carrying the materials onto the planets surface at a safe speed, strength of materials and what kind of material to use to create a structurally sound as well as radiation resistant enclosure on the planet, etc. if you could think of any other factors that i left out/revise the ones I've already listed that would be great!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
psuedoben said:

Homework Statement

in my physics class i was tasked with designing a project of my choice that had to deal with physics mechanics. the project i chose was to design a plan to create structures on the Planet mars. I'm just having trouble what factors I'm going to need to include (within the bounds of a freshman in college's knowledge of physics) to complete this problem. some things i thought of were mass of the materials needed to bring to the planet along with the required force to send a rocket carrying that mass plus the ever decreasing mass of the fuel needed to complete the mission into space, distance from Mars at a given time, gravitational force on mars, force required to lower a module carrying the materials onto the planets surface at a safe speed, strength of materials and what kind of material to use to create a structurally sound as well as radiation resistant enclosure on the planet, etc. if you could think of any other factors that i left out/revise the ones I've already listed that would be great!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have you researched what NASA has planned so far for such a mission? That would seem to be a good place to start... :smile:

Related to Designing Structures on Mars: Factors to Consider for a Successful Mission

What is a physics presentation?

A physics presentation is a visual and oral explanation of a scientific topic related to the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It typically includes illustrations, diagrams, and graphs to help explain complex concepts.

How do I choose a topic for my physics presentation?

Choosing a topic for your physics presentation can be challenging. It is important to select a topic that interests you and is relevant to your audience. You can also consider current events, advancements in technology, or controversial theories to make your presentation more engaging.

What are some tips for preparing a successful physics presentation?

To prepare a successful physics presentation, it is important to research your topic thoroughly and organize your information in a clear and logical manner. Use visual aids and examples to help explain complex concepts, and practice your presentation beforehand to ensure a smooth delivery.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics presentation?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics presentation include using jargon that your audience may not understand, overcrowding slides with too much information, and not providing enough context or background information for your topic. It is also important to check for accuracy and avoid making unsupported claims.

How can I make my physics presentation more engaging?

To make your physics presentation more engaging, you can use interactive demonstrations, real-life examples, and audience participation. You can also incorporate multimedia elements such as videos, animations, and simulations to help illustrate complex concepts. Additionally, using humor and storytelling can help capture your audience's attention and make your presentation more memorable.