Desnity matrix method to calculate polarizability of H2 molecule.

Taking the derivative with respect to the electric field, we get α = dP/dE = 0, as expected for a constant electric field.In summary, we discussed the effects of a constant electric field on a H2 molecule, including the shift in on-site energies and the resulting changes in the density matrix. We also calculated the polarizability of the molecule and found it to be zero in the presence of
jameson2

Homework Statement

Have a H2 molecule in a constant E field. This produces a shift in the on site energies of the 2 H atoms so they have energies ε-δ,ε+δ. δ is proportional to field strength.
1)Calculate the tight binding density matrix when the hopping integral is -1. (γ=-1) δ is positive and the molecule contains 2 electrons.
2)Show the trace is 2, independent of δ.
3)Calculate the density matrix for vanishing electrix field, and compare to the previous matrix for δ→0
4)Polarizability is the derivative of the electrical dipole w.r.t. the electric field, at E=0. Given the electrical dipole operator of the H2 molecule P=1/2[|1><1|-|2><2|], where |j><j| is the projector over the 1s atomic orbital centered on the jth atom, and using the previous density matrix, calculate the polarizability of the H2 molecule. (Assume E=cδ, with c just a constant.)

Homework Equations

Some included below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've everything right up to the last part. I don't really want to put up the whole density matrix as it's a bit messy and long, but I'm fairly sure I have it right since I get trace 2 and it agrees with the δ=0 case.
For the last part I'm wondering whether for |1> and |2> I use (1,0) and (0,1), or if I use the vectors I got when I solved Hψ=Eψ, with the H matrix entries being ε+δ, -1, -1, ε-δ. I tried calculating the polarizability both ways, by finding P, then finding trace(Pρ), then differentiating this w.r.t. E then setting E to zero. Using the (1,0),(0,1) vectors I get an answer of zero which I presume isn't right. Using the second set of vectors I get a final answer of -4/c. Of course I may just be using a completely wrong method for the last part, I'm not too sure. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Oh, and in part 2, what does trace=2 mean? I'm guessing that this is the number of electrons, but I couldn't find why.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to assist you in finding a solution to your problem. Here are my responses to your questions:

1) To calculate the tight binding density matrix when the hopping integral is -1, we can use the following formula: ρ = |Ψ><Ψ|, where |Ψ> is the wavefunction of the system. In this case, the wavefunction can be written as |Ψ> = a|1> + b|2>, where |1> and |2> are the basis states for the two H atoms. Plugging this into the formula, we get ρ = |Ψ><Ψ| = |a|1><1| + a*b|1><2| + b*a|2><1| + |b|2><2|. Since the hopping integral is -1, we can write a*b = -1, which simplifies the density matrix to ρ = |1><2| + |2><1|.

2) The trace of a matrix is defined as the sum of its diagonal elements. In this case, the density matrix has diagonal elements of 0, so the trace is 0. However, we know that the trace of a density matrix should be equal to the number of particles in the system, which in this case is 2. Therefore, we can conclude that the trace must be 2, independent of δ.

3) When the electric field is zero, δ=0 and the on-site energies of the two H atoms are equal, so the density matrix becomes ρ = |1><1| + |2><2|. Comparing this to the previous matrix for δ→0, we can see that the only difference is the absence of the off-diagonal terms. This makes sense, as in the absence of an electric field, there is no shift in the on-site energies and the two H atoms are indistinguishable.

4) To calculate the polarizability, we can use the formula α = dP/dE, where P is the electrical dipole operator. In this case, P=1/2[|1><1|-|2><2|]. Using the density matrix from part 1, we can calculate the expectation value of P as <P> = trace(Pρ) = trace(1/2[|1><1|-|2><2|](

FAQ: Desnity matrix method to calculate polarizability of H2 molecule.

1. How does the density matrix method calculate the polarizability of H2 molecule?

The density matrix method uses the electronic density matrix to calculate the polarizability of H2 molecule. This matrix contains information about the electron density and its spatial distribution, which is used to determine the polarizability of the molecule.

2. Is the density matrix method accurate in calculating the polarizability of H2 molecule?

Yes, the density matrix method is considered to be a highly accurate method for calculating the polarizability of H2 molecule. It takes into account the effects of electron correlation and can provide results that are in good agreement with experimental data.

3. What are the advantages of using the density matrix method for calculating polarizability?

One of the main advantages of the density matrix method is its ability to incorporate quantum mechanical effects, such as electron correlation, in the calculation. This allows for a more accurate determination of the polarizability compared to simpler methods. Additionally, the density matrix method can handle larger and more complex molecules, making it a versatile tool for calculating polarizability.

4. Are there any limitations to the density matrix method for calculating polarizability?

While the density matrix method is highly accurate, it can also be computationally demanding, especially for larger molecules. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for molecules with significant multi-reference character, as it assumes a single reference wavefunction.

5. How does the density matrix method compare to other methods for calculating polarizability?

The density matrix method is generally considered to be one of the most accurate methods for calculating polarizability. It is more computationally demanding than simpler methods, but can provide more reliable results. Other methods, such as the coupled-cluster method, may also be used for calculating polarizability but may have their own limitations and assumptions.