Desperate college student needs help in double integral

In summary, the conversation discusses using double integrals to solve various mathematical problems involving cones, spheres, and regions in the xy-plane. The main issue is incorporating the given height, H, into the equations, which can be solved by using different coordinate systems. The conversation also mentions seeking help and assistance for these problems.
marik
desperate college student needs help in double integral!

here is the problem I couldn't solve, anyone got any idea please help me.
thank you very much in advance

1) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a right circular cone of radius R and height H. the volume of a cone is given by the formula

(pi*R^2*H)/3
I tried to use polar coordinates, but what is troubling me is that I couldn't get H into the formula.2) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

( pi*H^2*(3R-H))/3
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration3) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the surface are of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the surface area of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

2*pi*R*H
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration4) use a double integral to calculate the area for the region in xy-plane bounded by y=H, y=0, x=0, and the line containing the point (a,0), and (b,H) where a,b,H>0 and b<a.5) use double integral to calculate the area for the sector in the polar plane bounded by the ray thetha=0 and thetha=R>0 and the circle x^2+y^2=R^2 in the first quadrant.any help on any problem is deeply appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
marik said:
here is the problem I couldn't solve, anyone got any idea please help me.
thank you very much in advance

1) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a right circular cone of radius R and height H. the volume of a cone is given by the formula

(pi*R^2*H)/3
I tried to use polar coordinates, but what is troubling me is that I couldn't get H into the formula.
Draw a picture. Put the vertex of the cone at (0,0,0), the axis along the z-axis so that the sides of the cone (you are looking at the cone from the side) are lines passing through (0,0,0) and (R,0,h). What is the equation of that line in x and z? If you use cylindrical coordinates, which I recommend, you can replace x in that by r and use it in 3 dimensions. From that equation you can get z as a function of r involving both R and H.

2) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

( pi*H^2*(3R-H))/3
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration
Sounds like you should use spherical coordinates for this. Since [itex]\phi[/itex] measures the angle from the z-axis, at the top [itex]\phi[/itex] is 0. If you draw a picture with a radius out to the line R-H, you should see that it forms a right triangle with hypotenuse R and "near side" R- H. [itex]cos(\phi)= R/(R-H)[/itex]. That gives you one of the limits of integration.

3) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the surface are of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the surface area of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

2*pi*R*H
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration
Yes! Same problem as (2)!

4) use a double integral to calculate the area for the region in xy-plane bounded by y=H, y=0, x=0, and the line containing the point (a,0), and (b,H) where a,b,H>0 and b<a.
Why is this a problem? What is the equation of the line through (a, 0) and (b, H)? Where does it intersect the other boundaries?

5) use double integral to calculate the area for the sector in the polar plane bounded by the ray thetha=0 and thetha=R>0 and the circle x^2+y^2=R^2 in the first quadrant.
Okay, You know [itex]theta[/itex] goes from 0 to R and r goes from 0 to R. Just do the integral.

any help on any problem is deeply appreciated

FAQ: Desperate college student needs help in double integral

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a solid in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in the xy-plane, where the boundaries of the region are defined by two curves.

2. Why do college students struggle with double integrals?

Double integrals can be challenging for college students because they require a solid understanding of single variable calculus and the ability to visualize and manipulate three-dimensional shapes. Many students also struggle with setting up the appropriate bounds for the integral.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving double integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering double integrals. Start by reviewing your knowledge of single variable calculus and understanding the concept of volume in three-dimensional space. Then, work on a variety of practice problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually increasing in difficulty.

4. Can I use technology to solve double integrals?

Yes, there are various software programs and graphing calculators that can help with solving double integrals. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concept and how to set up the integral before relying on technology.

5. Where can I find additional resources for assistance with double integrals?

There are many online resources available, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive demonstrations, that can help with understanding and solving double integrals. You can also seek help from your professor, teaching assistant, or a tutor for personalized assistance.