Desperate solve 3rd order differentail equation

• Thread starter Hugh_Struct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the problem is to solve a third order differential equation related to the lateral torsional buckling of a beam. The equation can be simplified to a second order ODE with constants A and B, where A represents the moment of inertia and torsional rigidity and B represents the applied moment. The solution can be either sinusoidal or exponential depending on the values of A and B.
Hugh_Struct

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am trying to complete my MSc in Structural Engineering and being an engineer my maths sometimes let's me down. Please help me to solve this 3rd order differential equation...it relates to solving the later torsional buckling of a beam. Here goes!

So far i am at this point

(3) GIt dr/dx - EIw d3r/dx3 = M2 / (PI2EIz / L2) dr/dx

I assume there is a homogeneous solution to this where i could use the following boundary conditions

(v)o = (v)L = 0

(r)o = (r)L = 0

(d2r/dx2)0 = (d2r/dx2) = 0

Homework Equations

The problem begins with these two equations...

(1) EIz d2v/dv2 = -M r(X)

and

(2) GIt dr/dx - EIw d3r/dx3 = M dv/dx

Trial solutions of

(4) v(x) = w sin (PI x /L) and r(x) = r sin (PI x /L)

so differentiating (4) you can obtain

(5) v(x) = M / (PI2EIz / L2) r(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently substituting equation (5) into equation (2) and using the boundary conditions you can resolve the problem to find
3...below is the solution
M = Square root [ (PI2EIz / L2) * (GIt + PI2EIw / L2)]

I say apparently as i can only manage the substation part! I know you could also differentiate equation (2) to a 4th order differential and then substitute d^2v/dv^2 of equation (1) but i really need to know the other method.

I am SO sorry about the awful text...first time poster...long time reader!

Please help!

Thanks

Hugh

Much better to check this link out...page 2 and half of page 3 is what I'm after!

https://noppa.tkk.fi/noppa/kurssi/rak-54.3600/luennot/Rak-54_3600_lateral-torsional_buckling.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hugh_Struct said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am trying to complete my MSc in Structural Engineering and being an engineer my maths sometimes let's me down. Please help me to solve this 3rd order differential equation...it relates to solving the later torsional buckling of a beam. Here goes!

So far i am at this point

(3) GIt dr/dx - EIw d3r/dx3 = M2 / (PI2EIz / L2) dr/dx

I assume there is a homogeneous solution to this where i could use the following boundary conditions

(v)o = (v)L = 0

(r)o = (r)L = 0

(d2r/dx2)0 = (d2r/dx2) = 0

Homework Equations

The problem begins with these two equations...

(1) EIz d2v/dv2 = -M r(X)

and

(2) GIt dr/dx - EIw d3r/dx3 = M dv/dx

Trial solutions of

(4) v(x) = w sin (PI x /L) and r(x) = r sin (PI x /L)

so differentiating (4) you can obtain

(5) v(x) = M / (PI2EIz / L2) r(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently substituting equation (5) into equation (2) and using the boundary conditions you can resolve the problem to find
3...below is the solution
M = Square root [ (PI2EIz / L2) * (GIt + PI2EIw / L2)]

I say apparently as i can only manage the substation part! I know you could also differentiate equation (2) to a 4th order differential and then substitute d^2v/dv^2 of equation (1) but i really need to know the other method.

I am SO sorry about the awful text...first time poster...long time reader!

Please help!

Thanks

Hugh

Much better to check this link out...page 2 and half of page 3 is what I'm after!

https://noppa.tkk.fi/noppa/kurssi/rak-54.3600/luennot/Rak-54_3600_lateral-torsional_buckling.pdf"

If GIt, EIw, M2 / (PI2EIz / L2) are constants, your equation is of the form A d3r/dx3 = B dr/dx, where A = GIt and B = GIt - M2 / (PI2EIz / L2) are constants. Letting y = dr/dx, you have a second-order ODE A d^2 y/dx^2 = B y, which has a sinusoidal solution if B > 0 (assuming A > 0) or an exponential solution if B < 0.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks RGV,

That makes sense I'm trying to use the 2nd O.D.E A d2 y/dx2 = B y together with the B.C's to solve the equation. I will post it if i can get it...I may be a while!

Yes all the other terms are constants.

Hugh

Related to Desperate solve 3rd order differentail equation

1. What is a 3rd order differential equation?

A 3rd order differential equation is an equation that involves the third derivative of an unknown function. It is a type of differential equation that is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena.

2. What makes solving a 3rd order differential equation particularly challenging?

Unlike simpler differential equations, 3rd order differential equations often have more than one independent variable and may involve higher order derivatives. This makes them more complicated and difficult to solve analytically.

3. What are some common methods for solving 3rd order differential equations?

Some common methods for solving 3rd order differential equations include using power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. Can all 3rd order differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all 3rd order differential equations can be solved analytically. In fact, there are many 3rd order differential equations that have no closed-form solution and must be solved numerically.

5. How can solving 3rd order differential equations be useful in real-world applications?

Solving 3rd order differential equations can be useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as in modeling the motion of objects under the influence of forces, predicting population growth, and analyzing electrical circuits. It allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.