Desperately - Hooke's law - stiffness constant

In summary, the speaker has conducted an experiment with a spring by adding mass and recording the new length. They then plotted the length against the mass and used the equation mg = k (l - lo) to calculate the stiffness, k. They have also verified the correctness of their calculations. However, they are unsure of how to calculate the uncertainty in k, taking into account the uncertainties in their measurements and graphing. They are seeking help with this issue before the deadline tomorrow.
_Greg_
Iv done an experiment with a spring wher you add mass and record the new length. From a table of these rusults iv plotted length (m) against mass (kg), like so

mechanics problem.JPG

Now i have to calculate the stiffness, k, from this graph with the equation:

mg = k (l - lo)

so just to varify that what iv done is correct:

mg = (x2 - x1) x g

(l - lo) = (y2 - y1)

so k = ( (x2-x1) x g ) / (y2 - y1)

im pretty sure that's correct, its almost identical from using a single value of length and mass from the table of results.

QUESTION

how do i calculate the uncertainty in k?

all my measurements of length have an uncertainty of +/-0.5mm, each of the 100g masses i use in the experiment have an uncertainty of +/- 5g and of cource there will be an uncertainty in drawing my graph.

how do i use these to get my error in k?

btw the spring has negligible mass.

iv been trying to work this out for hours to no avail and its GOT to be in TOMORROW :cry:

any help, id really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the sophistication of your mathematics background, error considerations can be done in different ways. If you've gone through multivariable calculus and know how to do partial derivatives, you should read up on error propagation. The link below is a good place to start, but other resources are readily available by use of Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_of_uncertainty

_Greg_ said:
Iv done an experiment with a spring wher you add mass and record the new length. From a table of these rusults iv plotted length (m) against mass (kg), like so

View attachment 10239

Now i have to calculate the stiffness, k, from this graph with the equation:

mg = k (l - lo)

so just to varify that what iv done is correct:

mg = (x2 - x1) x g

(l - lo) = (y2 - y1)

so k = ( (x2-x1) x g ) / (y2 - y1)

im pretty sure that's correct, its almost identical from using a single value of length and mass from the table of results.

QUESTION

how do i calculate the uncertainty in k?

all my measurements of length have an uncertainty of +/-0.5mm, each of the 100g masses i use in the experiment have an uncertainty of +/- 5g and of cource there will be an uncertainty in drawing my graph.

how do i use these to get my error in k?

btw the spring has negligible mass.

iv been trying to work this out for hours to no avail and its GOT to be in TOMORROW :cry:

any help, id really appreciate it.

As a scientist, it is important to consider uncertainties and errors in any experiment or calculation. In this case, the stiffness constant, k, is a measure of how stiff the spring is, and it is important to determine the uncertainty in this value to accurately represent the results of the experiment.

To calculate the uncertainty in k, you will need to consider the uncertainties in your measurements and how they propagate through the equation. This is known as error propagation. In this case, the uncertainties in length, mass, and the graph will all contribute to the uncertainty in k.

To start, you can use the formula for error propagation to calculate the uncertainty in k:

Δk = √( (∂k/∂x)^2 * Δx^2 + (∂k/∂y)^2 * Δy^2 + (∂k/∂g)^2 * Δg^2 )

where Δk is the uncertainty in k, Δx is the uncertainty in the length measurement, Δy is the uncertainty in the mass measurement, and Δg is the uncertainty in the acceleration due to gravity (which is typically given as a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2).

To calculate the partial derivatives (∂k/∂x, ∂k/∂y, ∂k/∂g), you will need to use the equation for k that you provided:

k = ( (x2-x1) x g ) / (y2 - y1)

Taking the partial derivatives, you will get:

∂k/∂x = g / (y2 - y1)

∂k/∂y = -(x2 - x1) * g / (y2 - y1)^2

∂k/∂g = (x2 - x1) / (y2 - y1)

Substituting these values into the error propagation formula, you will get:

Δk = √( (g/(y2 - y1))^2 * Δx^2 + ((x2 - x1)*g/(y2 - y1)^2)^2 * Δy^2 + ((x2 - x1)/(y2 - y1))^2 * Δg^2 )

Now, you can plug in the values for your uncertainties and calculate the uncertainty in k. Keep in mind that the uncertainties for length and mass will need to be converted to meters and

FAQ: Desperately - Hooke's law - stiffness constant

What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material and the resulting deformation of that material. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the material remains within its elastic limit.

How does Hooke's law relate to stiffness?

Hooke's law relates to stiffness by describing the stiffness constant, also known as the spring constant or elastic modulus. This constant represents the amount of force required to produce a unit of deformation in the material. In other words, the higher the stiffness constant, the stiffer the material is.

What is the formula for Hooke's law?

The formula for Hooke's law is F = kx, where F is the force applied, k is the stiffness constant, and x is the amount of deformation. This formula shows the direct relationship between force and deformation, as stated in Hooke's law.

How is Hooke's law used in real life?

Hooke's law is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of springs, shock absorbers, and other elastic materials. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and durability of structures under different forces and loads.

What happens if a material exceeds its elastic limit?

If a material exceeds its elastic limit, it will not follow Hooke's law and will experience permanent deformation. This means that the material will not return to its original shape once the force is removed, and it may even break or fail. It is important to stay within the elastic limit of a material to avoid permanent damage.