Detect current direction in water

In summary, the conversation discusses using a bowl filled with tap water to conduct an electric current using electrodes attached to the rim of the bowl. Two sense pins are inserted into the water to detect the direction of the current and convert it into a digital signal. The polarity of the supply electrodes varies over time, with a maximum voltage of 5V and a minimum of -5V. The ammeter reads a current of 700 microamps. The person is interested in using a hall effect current sensor for this project, but also asks if there are any alternatives to using an ADC. The conversation also mentions using an opamp voltage comparator, but notes that it may only detect the direction and not the magnitude of the current.
hackhard
a bowl is filled with tap water .electric current is made to flow due to electrodes attached to rim of bowl(opposite sides of bowl)
i have 2 sense pins inserted into the water between the electrodes .
how can i convert this analog signal(vd across sense pins) to a digital signal to detect direction of current through water and use the signal in a logic circuit?
the 2 sense pins are fixed in water whereas polarity of supply electrodes is varying with time
electrode vd is max 5v min -5V. ammeter reads 700 microamps current flowing through water

Physics news on Phys.org
hackhard said:
a bowl is filled with tap water .electric current is made to flow due to electrodes attached to rim of bowl(opposite sides of bowl)
i have 2 sense pins inserted into the water between the electrodes .
how can i convert this analog signal(vd across sense pins) to a digital signal to detect direction of current through water ?
the 2 sense pins are fixed in water whereas polarity of supply electrodes is varying with time
electrode vd is max 5v. ammeter reads 700 microamps current flowing through water
Are you doing this for some project? If budget is not a concern, you can try a hall effect current sensor.

cnh1995 said:
Are you doing this for some project? If budget is not a concern, you can try a hall effect current sensor.
yes all i need to know is if vd across sense pins is + or -ve
+ve or 0 vd = high output
-ve vd = low otput

hackhard said:
yes all i need to know is if vd across sense pins is + or -ve
+ve or 0 vd = high output
-ve vd = low otput
Ok so you are interested in only the direction of the current? Not magnitude? Also, are you using a microcontroller?

cnh1995 said:
Also, are you using a microcontroller?
no I am not
is there any alternative to adc?

hackhard said:
is there any alternative to adc?
I don't think so. Do the sensor pins detect current and give voltage as the output? It would be better if you posted a schematic.

will opamp voltage comparator do the job

hackhard said:
will opamp voltage comparator do the job
Yes. But it won't be able to read the magnitude of the current. It will sense only the direction.

Related to Detect current direction in water

1. How is current direction in water measured?

Current direction in water is typically measured using an instrument called a current meter. This device has a propeller or impeller that rotates in response to the direction and speed of the water flow. The direction of the current can then be determined by the orientation of the propeller or impeller.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of current direction measurements in water?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of current direction measurements in water, including water depth, water density, and turbulence. These factors can cause the current to vary in speed and direction, making it challenging to obtain precise measurements.

3. How does water temperature impact current direction?

Water temperature can have a significant impact on current direction. As water temperature changes, it can create density differences that cause the water to move in different directions. This is known as thermal stratification and can affect the accuracy of current direction measurements.

4. Are there different methods for detecting current direction in water?

Yes, there are several methods for detecting current direction in water, including using current meters, acoustic Doppler current profilers, and remote sensing techniques. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the appropriate method will depend on the specific needs of the study or project.

5. What are some real-world applications of detecting current direction in water?

Detecting current direction in water has many practical applications, including ocean and coastal research, marine navigation, water quality monitoring, and predicting and mitigating the impacts of natural disasters like hurricanes and tsunamis. It is also essential for industries such as fishing, shipping, and offshore energy production.