Detecting Cations: Understanding the Role of Ion Discharge in Penning Gauges

• Thread starter terryphi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses penning gauges and how the collector current is affected by the number of cations striking it. The question is raised about how to detect when a cation strikes a cathode and if there is a change in current. The patent also mentions an 'ion discharge' and there is a request for insight on this concept.
terryphi
Hello,

So, I'm reading up on penning gauges, and wikipedia (reliable source I know :P) says that the collector current depends on the number of cations which strike it.

So, the question I have is, how can you detect when a cation strikes a cathode? is there some sort of change in current? Why? I have some ideas, but I would really like to know your guys thoughts on this.

Edit: In the patent they talk about an 'ion discharge'. Does anyone have any insight as to what that is?
:S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
terryphi said:
So, the question I have is, how can you detect when a cation strikes a cathode? is there some sort of change in current? Why?
What happens to the electrons in the cathode when a cation strikes?

FAQ: Detecting Cations: Understanding the Role of Ion Discharge in Penning Gauges

1. What are cations?

Cations are positively charged ions that are formed when an atom loses one or more electrons. They are attracted to negatively charged particles and are an important part of chemical reactions and biological processes.

2. How are cations detected in a solution?

Cations can be detected in a solution using various methods, such as flame tests, precipitation reactions, and spectroscopy. These methods involve adding specific reagents or using instruments to identify the presence of specific cations in a solution.

3. What is the purpose of detecting cations?

The purpose of detecting cations is to identify and quantify the amount of a specific cation present in a solution. This information can be used to understand the chemical composition of a substance, diagnose diseases, and monitor environmental conditions.

4. What are some common cations that are detected in laboratory settings?

Some common cations that are detected in laboratory settings include sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron. These cations are commonly found in various substances and play important roles in biological and chemical processes.

5. Are there any risks associated with detecting cations?

There may be some risks associated with detecting cations, depending on the method used. For example, some reagents used in detection methods may be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and protocols when working with cations in a laboratory setting.

Back