Detecting Gravitational Waves: Antenna Sensitivity & Weber Bars

• A
  • Thread starter marcusl
  • Start date
In summary, early attempts at detecting gravitational waves using cryo-cooled metal bars operated continuously from the 70's through 90's. However, the sensitivity of these detectors, such as those used at Stanford, Louisiana, and Rome, was not enough to detect gravitational waves. Later, more sensitive detectors, such as those at CERN and Rome/Frascati, were operated at temperatures below 3 mK and had sensitivities in the 10^-20 range. It is unlikely that Weber's bars would have detected gravitational waves, even with the advancements in sensitivity, due to their narrow bandwidth. It is also possible that Weber, coming from an electrical engineering background, was not as well-versed in experimental physics as needed for successful
marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gravity wave antennas using cryo-cooled metal bars were operated continuously from the 70's through 90's, notably at Stanford, Louisiana and Rome. How much more sensitivity (how many orders of magnitude) was needed to detect GW's? Were their resonance frequencies likely to be excited by a black-hole merger, knowing what we now today?

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
We know that Weber never had a detection--his bars weren't even cooled--but his efforts were followed by serious attempts with far more sensitive instruments. The Stanford and Louisiana detectors used 5 ton bars cooled to 4.2 K, for example, and later detectors at CERN and Rome/Frascati were operated below 3 mK. Sensitivities for several detectors seem to be in the 10^-20 range according to
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjkgLqdqY7nAhWYG80KHcYmDYQQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F
%2Farxiv.org%2Fpdf%2F1009.1138&usg=AOvVaw2n2nak8qAwmwJ8zFIf3sSh

if I'm reading it right.
This is what prompts my question, then: if sensitivities were in the right ballpark, were they just a little short of detecting events? Or was it the nature of a resonant-mass detector with its narrow bandwidth that was the problem? Or something else altogether?

Last edited:
I remember at the time they didn’t know what the sensitivity needed to be so it was a shot in the dark. Also funding was a tough sell without any results. It’s much easier if you get the whiff of a signal that folks will argue about than no signal or bad results.

One article said that Weber came from an EE background into physics and wasn’t versed enough in all the things experimental physicists do to get good results.

Knowing what we know now about these GW events, I shudder to think what we would experience if Weber’s detector had detected it. Would it have been cataclysmic flash of light in the sky followed by intense weather phenomena or worse world ending?

Likes sysprog
Thank you, but you have not addressed my questions.

Likes sysprog
marcusl said:
It seems to me that he well and strongly did goodly much of what in that direction could be done.

Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
marcusl said:

Sadly, no. Perhaps I should never have replied. My apologies.

However, I think it was more the sensitivity as the gravitational wave frequen cover a wide range of values. With a narrow band width, it would be easy to miss an event but I still think it was the sensitivity limited.

jedishrfu said:
Sadly, no. Perhaps I should never have replied. My apologies.

However, I think it was more the sensitivity as the gravitational wave frequen cover a wide range of values. With a narrow band width, it would be easy to miss an event but I still think it was the sensitivity limited.
@jedishrfu, just a fella tryin' to have your back here, and I think that it is with good reason that I in this instance so do: in my view, yes, you did very extremely well respond.

Likes jedishrfu
marcusl said:
Sensitivities for several detectors seem to be in the 10^-20 range
For continuous waves. Mergers are short events that quickly change their frequency.

Orbiting neutron stars or light black holes might be in the frequency range for many orbits but then their signal is much weaker than the signals LIGO/Virgo see, so 10-20 won't get you anywhere.

Here is a sensitivity curve that includes AURIGA.

Likes dextercioby, jedishrfu and sysprog
That's a nice graph of sensitivity and kind of illustrates the reason why Weber couldn't pick up anything as his equipment was frequency limited and sensitivity limited.

Likes sysprog
Often when I post, I consider the readership and even If I don't know the answer to what the OP is asking I try to provide context for other readers to get upto speed.

I would hope the OP would understand and appreciate my contribution. When they don't then I try to smooth things over with an apology.

Likes sysprog

Related to Detecting Gravitational Waves: Antenna Sensitivity & Weber Bars

1. How do scientists detect gravitational waves?

Scientists detect gravitational waves using specialized instruments called interferometers, which use lasers to measure tiny changes in distances between two objects caused by passing gravitational waves.

2. What is antenna sensitivity in relation to detecting gravitational waves?

Antenna sensitivity refers to the ability of an antenna to detect and measure weak signals, such as gravitational waves. The higher the sensitivity, the better an antenna can detect and measure these faint signals.

3. How do Weber bars contribute to the detection of gravitational waves?

Weber bars are large, cylindrical metal bars that vibrate in response to passing gravitational waves. These vibrations can be detected by sensitive instruments and used to confirm the presence of gravitational waves.

4. What factors affect the sensitivity of an antenna for detecting gravitational waves?

The sensitivity of an antenna for detecting gravitational waves is affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the antenna, the materials used, and the level of background noise present in the environment.

5. Can gravitational waves be detected by the naked eye?

No, gravitational waves cannot be detected by the naked eye. They are extremely faint and can only be detected using specialized instruments and techniques, such as interferometers and Weber bars.