Detecting Gravity Waves: Seeking Answers

In summary: If I wanted to measure and quantify them, I'd make a float like a fishing bob, on a shaft so it can only move vertically. Measure the position of the bob over time, and then use a Fourier transform on the list of numbers to identify the mixture of waves present.
Awsom Guy
HI,
Can someone please tell me how gravity waves are detected. Please note that I am talking about gravity waves "not" gravitational waves they are two different things. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in what medium?

Both atmosphere and the ocean but more on atmosphere. Thanks.

Awsom Guy said:
Please note that I am talking about gravity waves "not" gravitational waves they are two different things.
Please explain what you think the difference is.

Gravity waves has something to do with the sky (meteorology) and gravitational is something to do with astronomy.

Gravity waves is a fluid dynamics thing. I'll rummage through my applied maths notes if I have the time later.

yes, but how are they detected? please help. any help is awesome. thanks

pallidin said:
I don't think that's what the OP is referring to.

Pretty sure it is, given he mentions atmosphere and ocean, which are the two canonical examples of gravity waves, and is talking about meteorology, not general relativity. Everyone seems to be confusing gravity waves for gravitational waves, and I think the op has made it abundantly clear that he is referring to the former.

Having re-read the posts I see that now. My bad.

The wikipedia page does not answer my questio, I have already been there. I need to know how they detect these gravity waves. Please help, thanks.

Awsom Guy said:
The wikipedia page does not answer my questio, I have already been there. I need to know how they detect these gravity waves. Please help, thanks.

If I wanted to measure and quantify them, I'd make a float like a fishing bob, on a shaft so it can only move vertically. Measure the position of the bob over time, and then use a Fourier transform on the list of numbers to identify the mixture of waves present.

Related to Detecting Gravity Waves: Seeking Answers

What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves, also known as gravitational waves, are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

How are gravity waves detected?

Gravity waves are detected using highly sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two objects caused by the passing of a gravity wave. The most sensitive interferometer currently in operation is the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

What can we learn from detecting gravity waves?

Detecting gravity waves allows us to study the properties of massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars, in ways that were previously impossible. It also provides evidence for the existence of gravitational waves, which helps to further our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

Why is detecting gravity waves important?

Detecting gravity waves is important because it provides a new way to observe and study the universe. It allows us to see phenomena that are invisible to traditional telescopes, such as the collision of black holes and the formation of the universe. It also confirms the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

What are some challenges in detecting gravity waves?

Detecting gravity waves is extremely challenging because the waves are incredibly faint and difficult to distinguish from background noise. It also requires highly sensitive and precise instruments, as well as advanced data analysis techniques. Additionally, the sources of gravity waves are often very far away, making it difficult to pinpoint their exact location.