Detecting Protostars: Light Processing Explained

• I
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detection
In summary, protostars are detected through images taken with filters that let through different wavelengths of light. These images are then compared to identify which stars are most likely protostars. Millimeter wave and radio telescopes can also be used to detect protostars, as some wavelengths can pass through dust and gases in nebulas. While manual processing may be involved, astronomers often choose a target, such as a nebula, and then manually process the images once they are obtained. Simply looking at a poster of a nebula is not an efficient method for detecting protostars.
nmsurobert
How are protostars detected? I doubt that someone is just looking at a poster of a nebula looking for stars.

I'm guessing the image is ran through some kind of light processing program that looks for... something?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Images are taken through filters that let through different wavelengths of light. Protostars form within nebulas, are surrounded by molecular clouds of gas and dust and typically radiate mostly in the infrared range, so by comparing the images taken through the different filters astronomers can identify which stars are most likely protostars.

nmsurobert said:
I'm guessing the image is ran through some kind of light processing program that looks for... something?

Good question. I'm not sure to be honest.

Likes nmsurobert
Drakkith said:
Images are taken through filters that let through different wavelengths of light. Protostars form within nebulas, are surrounded by molecular clouds of gas and dust and typically radiate mostly in the infrared range, so by comparing the images taken through the different filters astronomers can identify which stars are most likely protostars.
Good question. I'm not sure to be honest.

i know we can see them but I doubt that's how they're found. I would guess that the data is processed somehow then the image is looked at once a candidate is found.

nmsurobert said:
i know we can see them but I doubt that's how they're found. I would guess that the data is processed somehow then the image is looked at once a candidate is found.

I'm not so sure. Targets for telescope observations are often chosen well in advance, so I could easily see the images first being looked at after only a minimal amount of automated processing. In other words, astronomers would choose a target, such as a nebula, write up the proposal to use the appropriate telescope, and then manually do most of the processing themselves once the images come back.

Likes nmsurobert
nmsurobert said:
How are protostars detected? ...

Millimeter wave telescopes. Radio telescopes. Some wavelengths will pass through dust that blocks visible and infrared light. Some gasses flow out of nebula which can indicate that something is happening inside.

nmsurobert said:
...I doubt that someone is just looking at a poster of a nebula looking for stars...

Why not look at nebula?

stefan r said:
Why not look at nebula?

it seems like "eye balling" for a protostar is inefficient.

nmsurobert said:
it seems like "eye balling" for a protostar is inefficient.

I'm not sure to be honest. Narrowing the sky down to just nebulas vastly reduces the number of stars to look at, but I don't know if there is still some sort of automated process in the pipeline.

FAQ: Detecting Protostars: Light Processing Explained

1. What is a protostar?

A protostar is a stage in the formation of a star, in which a dense region of gas and dust collapses under its own gravity. As the protostar continues to contract, it becomes hotter and denser until the conditions are suitable for nuclear fusion to begin and a star is born.

2. How are protostars detected?

Protostars are typically detected through their infrared radiation, which is emitted as the gas and dust surrounding the protostar heats up due to the gravitational collapse. Infrared telescopes and instruments are used to detect this radiation.

3. What is light processing and why is it important in detecting protostars?

Light processing refers to the analysis and interpretation of the infrared radiation emitted by protostars. This is important because it allows scientists to distinguish between protostars and other sources of infrared radiation, such as background stars or galaxies.

4. Can protostars be detected in other wavelengths of light?

Yes, protostars can also be detected in other wavelengths of light, such as radio and millimeter waves. These wavelengths are useful for studying different aspects of protostars, such as their magnetic fields and chemical compositions.

5. What can we learn from studying protostars?

Studying protostars can tell us about the early stages of star formation and the physical processes involved. It can also provide insights into the chemical composition of the gas and dust in the universe and how it evolves over time. Additionally, studying protostars can help us understand the formation and evolution of planetary systems, as these form around young stars.