Detecting state of an electron

In summary: Seems like the only information we can get by measuring it in 90-degree field is whether electron's state had to be forced to align with the field or was it already aligned.
RobikShrestha
I am referring to an experiment mentioned in Quantum Entanglement lecture:

(Starting from: 14:20)

In that lecture, as far as I understand, the description of the experiment is as follows:

Assume:
"up state" means north pole is vertically upwards

1. Preparing the state: Prepare electron to be in certain state (an arbitrary angle) by placing it in a magnetic field at certain angle.

2. Turn off that magnetic field.

3. Detecting the state: Turn on another magnetic field to detect the state of the electron. The north pole of external magnet is vertically downwards and the south pole is vertically upwards. Detect the state of the electron's state (up or down) by detecting if the electron releases any photon or not. If the electron releases photon, then it is "concluded" that previously, the electron had its north pole downwards i.e. electron was in "down" state. If electron does not emit any photon, then it is assumed that previously it was in "up" state. That "photon" released always has same energy (which is equal to energy released when transitioning from "down" to "up"). This is true even in cases where electron has been prepared in some other angle (i.e. neither down nor up but something in between).

The argument made here is that, no matter what "state" (angle) the electron is prepared for (in step 1), while "detecting the state" we find that either electron releases no energy or some constant energy. So "detecting the state" results in either "up" or "down", but not any other state.

But just because electron emits constant energy (equal to transition from down to up), why should it be "concluded" that it was previously "down"? May be the photon has quantized energy, so no matter what state it previously was in, it always releases that particular amount of energy to get to state "up".

My question is: is it correct to assume electron was previously "down" just because it releases that particular amount of energy (equal to transitioning from down to up) to go to state "up"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RobikShrestha said:
But just because electron emits constant energy (equal to transition from down to up), why should it be "concluded" that it was previously "down"? May be the photon has quantized energy, so no matter what state it previously was in, it always releases that particular amount of energy to get to state "up".

We also have conservation of energy; if the photon carries away some amount of energy then we know that the electron lost that amount. Thus, if we always get the same photon energy, we know that the electron only has two energy states, differing by the amount of energy in one photon.

Likes 1 person
Is it possible that energy lost by electron does not depend on the angle it makes with the field?

RobikShrestha said:
Is it possible that energy lost by electron does not depend on the angle it makes with the field?

Not only is it possible, that's how it is. The angle between the field we used for preparation and the angle we use for measurement does not affect the amount of energy released if the electron has to flip its spin to line up with the measuring field - it just affects the probability that the electron will have to flip its spin to line up with the measuring field. No flip, no photon; flip, photon.

There's some quantum weirdness going on here. If the preparation field is (for example) at an angle of 45 degrees from the vertical and the measuring field is vertical... Then after the preparation we know the value of the spin around the 45-degree axis but, as far as the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics is concerned, the spin around the vertical axis is completely undefined. It's not zero, it's not some value that we don't know, it just doesn't exist at all and it's meaningless to talk as if it does.

Only after we switch on the vertical measuring field and the electron interacts with it does it have a definite spin in the vertical direction (and then the previously known spin around the 45-degree axis becomes undefined).

I thought we were trying to detect "previous state" with measurement. Like, trying to figure out what state electron was under 45-degree preparation field by measuring it with 90-degree field. I mean isn't that the whole point of measuring? Trying to figure out state of electron?

Seems like the only information we can get by measuring it in 90-degree field is whether electron's state had to be forced to align with the field or was it already aligned.
Isn't this some kind of limitation of experiment that we can't know the state without affecting the state? I mean does measurement under 90-degree field really answer the question of what state the electron was just before the field was turned on?

RobikShrestha said:
I thought we were trying to detect "previous state" with measurement. Like, trying to figure out what state electron was under 45-degree preparation field by measuring it with 90-degree field. I mean isn't that the whole point of measuring? Trying to figure out state of electron?

We're trying to detect the previous state; but the Rules of Quantum Mechanics won't let us.

That's why we have to go through the preparation procedure to put the electron into a known state, namely spin up at 45 degrees. That state is the same as the state "probability X of finding the 90-degree spin to be up; probability Y of finding the 90-degree spin to be down" (where X and Y are values that we can calculate from the rules of QM).

So, the state is just a superposition of all states with each state assigned a probability? That does make some sense.

Related to Detecting state of an electron

1. How is the state of an electron detected?

The state of an electron can be detected through various methods such as spectroscopy, electron diffraction, and imaging techniques. These methods involve interacting with the electron and measuring its properties such as energy, position, and spin.

2. What is the significance of detecting the state of an electron?

Detecting the state of an electron is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at a microscopic level. It allows us to study and manipulate the behavior of electrons in different materials, which is essential in fields such as electronics and material science.

3. Can the state of an electron change?

Yes, the state of an electron can change depending on its interaction with other particles or its environment. For example, when an electron absorbs or emits energy, its state can change from a lower energy level to a higher one or vice versa.

4. How does quantum mechanics play a role in detecting the state of an electron?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as electrons. It provides the theoretical framework for understanding the state of an electron and its properties, which is essential in developing the methods and tools for detection.

5. Are there any limitations to detecting the state of an electron?

There are some limitations to detecting the state of an electron, such as the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, which can affect the accuracy of measurements when detecting the state of an electron.