Determinant + indicial notation proof

In summary, the determinant of a second order tensor can be calculated using the formula: det[A] = \frac{1}{6} \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{pqr} A_{pi} A_{qj} A_{rk}. One approach to proving this is by looking at the 3X3 case and comparing it to the definition of determinant used. Another method is to write the determinant as a sum, such as \varepsilon_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{1j}A_{3k}, and compare it to the given formula.
Mugged
Hello, I am supposed to prove that the determinant of a second order tensor (a matrix) is equal to the following:

det[A] = [tex]\frac{1}{6} \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{pqr} A_{pi} A_{qj} A_{rk}[/tex]

anyone have any idea how i would go about this? any method is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing which I would do is look at the 3X3 case amd see if you can see where the formula comes from. You also need to tell us the definition of the determinant that you're using.

well by det[A] i mean the following:

det[[tex]A_{ij}[/tex]] = the determinant of a 3 by 3 matrix with the first row being [tex]A_{11}, A_{12}, A_{13} [/tex] and the second row would be [tex] A_{21}, A_{22}, A_{23} [/tex] and lastly the third row is [tex] A_{31}, A_{32}, A_{33} [/tex]

How would you write that as a sum?

det[A] =
[tex] A_{11}(A_{23}A_{32}-A_{22}A_{33}) + A_{12}(A_{21}A_{33}-A_{23}A_{31}) + A_{13}(A_{22}A_{31}-A_{21}A_{32}) [/tex]

I am assuming that you're aware of the notation, how can you write the above sum as a sum which includes [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}[/tex]. A good start would be to write out one of the sums, say for example:
[tex]
\varepsilon_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{1j}A_{3k}
[/tex]
and see how this compares to your sum.

Related to Determinant + indicial notation proof

1. What is a determinant in mathematics?

A determinant is a mathematical concept used to determine the unique solution of a system of linear equations. It is a value that can be calculated from the coefficients of the equations and represents the size or scaling factor of a linear transformation.

2. What is indicial notation in mathematics?

Indicial notation, also known as Einstein notation, is a way of writing and manipulating vectors, matrices, and tensors in linear algebra and multivariable calculus. It uses a combination of indices and summation to represent complex equations in a concise and efficient manner.

3. How are determinants and indicial notation related?

Determinants and indicial notation are related because they are both used in linear algebra to represent and solve systems of equations. Indicial notation can be used to write out the components of a determinant in a compact and simplified form, making it easier to solve for the determinant's value.

4. What is the purpose of using indicial notation in a determinant proof?

The purpose of using indicial notation in a determinant proof is to simplify the calculations and make the proof more concise and readable. It allows for a more efficient representation of the determinant's components, making it easier to manipulate and solve for its value.

5. Can indicial notation be used for determinants of any size?

Yes, indicial notation can be used for determinants of any size. It is a versatile and widely-used notation system that can be applied to matrices and tensors of any dimension, making it a useful tool for solving complex equations in mathematics and physics.