Determination of scattering angle.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of scattering angles in quantum mechanics, where the angle of an outgoing particle is random and seemingly has no cause. The topic also touches on the idea of randomness and its acceptance in quantum mechanics.
taylrl3
Hi,

When two particles collide in the centre of mass frame, they interact and then scatter. Am I right in thinking that the resultant scattering angles are completely arbitrary? If so is this a case of an effect with no cause? Just hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The scattered wave has a probability distribution in θ, so you're right that when you detect an outgoing particle, its scattering angle will be random. Not a case of "an effect with no cause", however, it's just typical quantum mechanics.

Thanks for the response!

It is just typical quantum mechanics. I guess my question comes from my struggle to accept that anything is completely random.

Not sure I can remember the undergrad proof of why things can be random. I should go and look it up!

Could you say that the angle was somehow dependent upon tau?

Related to Determination of scattering angle.

1. What is the purpose of determining the scattering angle?

The determination of scattering angle is used to understand the physical properties of a material, such as its atomic structure and composition. It is also important in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.

2. How is the scattering angle measured?

The scattering angle is typically measured using a device called a goniometer, which consists of a movable arm with a detector that can rotate around a sample. The angle at which the scattered radiation is detected is then recorded to determine the scattering angle.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the scattering angle measurement?

The accuracy of the scattering angle measurement can be affected by several factors. These include the type of radiation used (e.g. X-rays, neutrons), the quality of the sample, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is the scattering angle related to the size of particles in a material?

The scattering angle is inversely proportional to the size of particles in a material. This means that smaller particles will result in a larger scattering angle, while larger particles will result in a smaller scattering angle.

5. What are the applications of determining the scattering angle?

The determination of scattering angle has numerous applications in scientific research and industrial processes. It is commonly used in studying the structure of materials, identifying unknown substances, and analyzing the composition of complex mixtures.