Determine acceleration of gravity through experiment?

In summary, a forum user is asking for advice on a limited resources experiment to determine the force of gravity. Their proposed experiment involves using a ticker timer and a paper strip to measure time and displacement, respectively. They plan to use the linear motion equation to find the acceleration due to gravity. Other forum users suggest using a scale or a rolling ball or pendulum for more accurate and repeatable measurements.
Henrybar
I am asked to determine the force of gravity(9.8 m/s^2) through an experiment which I will conduct. My recourses are very limited and so cameras and accelerometers are out of the question.

I have come up with a basic experiment which might work, but I would like reassurance from the forum.

Experiment: Using a ticker timer, attach one end of the paper to an object with the dimensions of an eraser(to prevent bouncing, rolling). The object will remain at the very edge of a table top until dropped. Once dropped, the ticker timer strip of paper should contain sufficient data to derive the variable of time; the displacement can be easily obtained from the height of the table. Now that I have known values for t, Δd and Vi(0), can't I substitute them into the linear motion equation a=(2Δd)/Δt^2) to find the acceleration due to gravity?

Will it work? What do you suggest I do to get closer to 9.8 m/s^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the purpose to demonstrate a measurement of gravity or to get the most precise measurement you possibly can?

What if you didn't rely on something falling, but you relied on something rolling down a slope? You would get a constant which you would know (depending on the angle) times g. There's a book you should check out; it's called the 10 most beautiful experiments. Read the first one in there and maybe you can get some ideas from that. That's actually where my suggestion came from.

Why not use a string with a weight in the end (pendulum?)

olivermsun - the purpose is to demonstrate that 9.8 m/s^2 is in fact the acceleration due to gravity. As long as the experiment achieves a number close to 9.8 and is repeatable, then it is fine.

Henrybar said:
I am asked to determine the force of gravity(9.8 m/s^2) through an experiment which I will conduct. My recourses are very limited and so cameras and accelerometers are out of the question.

I have come up with a basic experiment which might work, but I would like reassurance from the forum.

Experiment: Using a ticker timer, attach one end of the paper to an object with the dimensions of an eraser(to prevent bouncing, rolling). The object will remain at the very edge of a table top until dropped. Once dropped, the ticker timer strip of paper should contain sufficient data to derive the variable of time; the displacement can be easily obtained from the height of the table. Now that I have known values for t, Δd and Vi(0), can't I substitute them into the linear motion equation a=(2Δd)/Δt^2) to find the acceleration due to gravity?

Will it work? What do you suggest I do to get closer to 9.8 m/s^2?

Are you allowed to use a scale? Let's see, a liter of water weighs...

Or maybe just use a spring with a known spring constant instead of a store-bought scale...

Henrybar said:
olivermsun - the purpose is to demonstrate that 9.8 m/s^2 is in fact the acceleration due to gravity. As long as the experiment achieves a number close to 9.8 and is repeatable, then it is fine.

The rolling ball and pendulum experiments mentioned by two posters above are very good for generating accurate and repeatable measurements. Anything that allows you to time the motion over a long period of time will help you reduce timing errors.

For your amusement: there is actually an iPhone app that uses a camera to time the oscillation period of a tennis racket/golf club over many periods (for weighting/balancing the racket).

Related to Determine acceleration of gravity through experiment?

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of gravity?

The formula for calculating acceleration of gravity is a = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object.

2. How can acceleration of gravity be measured through experimentation?

One common method is using a pendulum, where the period of the pendulum can be measured and used in the formula T = 2π√(L/g) to determine the acceleration of gravity g. Other methods include using a free-fall apparatus or a ballistic pendulum.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the experiment to determine acceleration of gravity?

Factors such as air resistance, friction, and human error can affect the accuracy of the experiment. It is important to minimize these factors by using precise equipment and techniques, and repeating the experiment multiple times to get an average value.

4. What is the accepted value for acceleration of gravity on Earth?

The accepted value for acceleration of gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s². However, this value can vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

5. Can the acceleration of gravity be different on other planets?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity can vary on different planets and celestial bodies due to differences in mass and radius. For example, the acceleration of gravity on the moon is about 1/6 of that on Earth.