Determine Color of Solutions: Co(NO3)2, KMnO4, Na2Cr2O7, ZnCl2

• Thread starter Asian Girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary: I think I might have gotten the wrong textbook. I'll go back and check.In summary, the answer would be c.
Asian Girl
How do we determine color of solution? For example: Which compound forms a colorless solution when dissolved in H2O? a. Co(NO3)2 b. KMnO4 c. Na2Cr2O7 d. ZnCl2

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer would be d.

You just have to memorize basic compound colors.

C3H5N3O9 said:
The answer would be d.

You just have to memorize basic compound colors.

Would you give me the list of basic compound colors please?

I apologize, but I don't have a list. Although when zinc is in the compound, it is often colorless.

Try searching the compounds on google. Wikipedia would also provide information and pictures of the compounds.

Last edited:
There is a partial list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_chemicals
Remember that the colour also depends on the oxidations state
so Cu+ (eg Copper Oxide) is black, Cu++ (eg copper sulphate) is blue and Cu+++ (eg copper chloride) is green.

Surely this information is in your textbook, or your course notes...

I don't remember i saw list of colors in my textbook but I did in lab once with cooper which was blue. That's all.
Thanks for the website. It helps.

Another question

I have 2 questions about diagrams but I don't know how to copy it in here. Would someone show me how to do it?

Last edited:
Take a picture and upload it, or use a scanner if you have one.

I copied but I could not paste in here.

Asian Girl said:
I have 2 questions about diagrams but I don't know how to copy it in here. Would someone show me how to do it?

When you're composing a message in here, click the "Go advanced" button below the message. In the new message window that comes up, click the paperclip icon (next to smiley face), and take it from there.

If this question pertains to inorganic chemistry in college you may need to utilize the Tanabe-Sugano diagrams otherwise utilize the crystal field theory with the water molecule as ligands - if this question is for general chemistry the ligand arrangement is probably going to be hexagonal and then you need to figure out the field type. Asiangirl you're just going to need to reveal to us a bit more about the assignment and what class this is for. Inorganic chemistry is not the same course as general chemistry in college.

GCT said:
If this question pertains to inorganic chemistry in college you may need to utilize the Tanabe-Sugano diagrams otherwise utilize the crystal field theory with the water molecule as ligands - if this question is for general chemistry the ligand arrangement is probably going to be hexagonal and then you need to figure out the field type. Asiangirl you're just going to need to reveal to us a bit more about the assignment and what class this is for. Inorganic chemistry is not the same course as general chemistry in college.

General Chemistry I in college

Then my guess is that he's testing you on common knowledge - there should be a section in your textbook devoted to hexagonal ligand arrangements with water for crystal field theory -the answer should be located there simply browse through and find it. There are systematic ways to find the color using this theory - has your professor mentioned it?

I think ligands and crystal field theory are more of a Chem II subject. I say this because that topic is near the end of my chem book (Brown Lemay et.al) and our book is a 2 semester book, so I assume Chem II. I am just now completing chem I, and we never covered Ligands and Xtal theory.

It may be Gen Chem II because I am practicing ACS old exam. Those tests may have all Chem I and II, that why some questions they did not bring any bell at all.

Thanks guys.

FAQ: Determine Color of Solutions: Co(NO3)2, KMnO4, Na2Cr2O7, ZnCl2

What is the color of Co(NO3)2 solution?

The color of Co(NO3)2 solution is pink.

What is the color of KMnO4 solution?

The color of KMnO4 solution is purple.

What is the color of Na2Cr2O7 solution?

The color of Na2Cr2O7 solution is orange.

What is the color of ZnCl2 solution?

The color of ZnCl2 solution is colorless.

Why do these solutions have different colors?

The color of a solution is determined by the presence of certain molecules or ions that absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others. In the case of Co(NO3)2, the pink color is due to the presence of cobalt ions. KMnO4's purple color is due to the presence of permanganate ions, Na2Cr2O7's orange color is due to the presence of chromate ions, and ZnCl2's colorless appearance is due to the absence of any ions that absorb visible light.

Back