Determine Convergence/Divergence of Sequence (n^2/(2n+1) - (n^2/2n-1)

• Thread starter ActionPotential
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
Maybe you should show your work for the last line.In summary, the sequence with the given a_n is divergent. This can be determined by factoring out an n^2 from the top and bottom of the sequence and taking the limit, which results in a limit of 1/0 - 1/0. Alternatively, the sequence can be simplified to a function of like denominator and taking the limit, which results in a limit of -1/2. However, using L'Hopital's Rule twice also results in a limit of -1/2. Therefore, the sequence is divergent.
ActionPotential

Homework Statement

Determine the convergence or divergence of the sequence with the given [itex]a_n[/itex] . If it converges, find the limit.

[itex]\displaystyle a_n = \frac{n^2}{(2n+1)} - \frac{n^2}{(2n-1)} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not confident enough with sequence and series to know that I have done this correctly so I am hoping someone can let me know if this is correct and if not, what it is that I am doing incorrectly. I also thought about trying to determine whether or not the sequence is monotonic and whether it has an upper and/or lower bound but wasn't sure if this was necessary.

[itex] \displaystyle a_n = \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})}
= \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} - \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} : Divergent[/itex]

Alternatively, I noticed if I factored out an n^2 from the top and bottom, and took the limit I would be left with:

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}+\frac{1}{n^2})} - \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}-\frac{1}{n^2})} = \frac{1}{0} - \frac{1}{0} : Divergent[/itex]

However, neither of these approaches seems correct to me.

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Regards,
AP

Physics news on Phys.org
ActionPotential said:

Homework Statement

Determine the convergence or divergence of the sequence with the given [itex]a_n[/itex] . If it converges, find the limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not confident enough with sequence and series to know that I have done this correctly so I am hoping someone can let me know if this is correct and if not, what it is that I am doing incorrectly. I also thought about trying to determine whether or not the sequence is monotonic and whether it has an upper and/or lower bound but wasn't sure if this was necessary.

[itex] \displaystyle a_n = \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2+\frac{1}{n})} - \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n}{(2-\frac{1}{n})}
= \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} - \displaystyle\frac{\infty}{2} : Divergent[/itex]

Alternatively, I noticed if I factored out an n^2 from the top and bottom, and took the limit I would be left with:

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}+\frac{1}{n^2})} - \displaystyle \frac{1}{(\frac{2}{n}-\frac{1}{n^2})} = \frac{1}{0} - \frac{1}{0} : Divergent[/itex]

However, neither of these approaches seems correct to me.

Thanks for your help and feedback!

Regards,
AP

Both of these answers/appproaches are wrong. Before even starting you should re-write ##a_n## in a simpler form. Start by re-writing
[tex] \frac{1}{2n+1}-\frac{1}{2n-1}[/tex]

I would factor out the n^2, and then simplify the difference of fractions so that they have the same denominator. If that fraction falls to zero more slowly than 1/n^2, then the sequence is divergent. If it isn't divergent, you could use the ratio test to check for convergence.

Thanks for your help, Ray. Are you suggesting that I compare [itex]a_n[/itex] with a simpler sequence [itex] b_n [/itex] such as the one you responded with? Sorry for the confusion, I am still learning these approaches/techniques.

I had originally typed out an entire post but it got accidentally deleted so I am just skipping straight to the end. I let f(n)=a_n and substituted for f(x). Combined rational expressions and reduced it to a function of like denominator. Not entirely sure if this is correct either.

[itex] \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x^2(2x-1) - x^2(2x+1)}{(2x+1)(2x-1)} = \frac{2x^3-x^2-2x^3-x^2}{4x^2-1} = \frac{-2x^2}{4x^2-1} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x) = \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \displaystyle \frac{-2x^2}{(4x^2-1)} = -\frac{1}{2} [/itex] therefore [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = -\frac{1}{2} :Converges [/itex]

We can take L'Hopitals Rule twice and arrive at -1/2 as well.

ActionPotential said:
Thanks for your help, Ray. Are you suggesting that I compare [itex]a_n[/itex] with a simpler sequence [itex] b_n [/itex] such as the one you responded with? Sorry for the confusion, I am still learning these approaches/techniques.

I said exactly what I think you should do---re-write ##a_n##. Don't compare, don't do anything else; just re-write.

Related to Determine Convergence/Divergence of Sequence (n^2/(2n+1) - (n^2/2n-1)

What is the formula for the sequence?

The formula for the sequence is n^2/(2n+1) - (n^2/2n-1).

What is the purpose of determining convergence/divergence of a sequence?

The purpose of determining convergence/divergence of a sequence is to understand the behavior of the sequence as n approaches infinity. If the sequence converges, it means that the terms in the sequence approach a finite value. If the sequence diverges, it means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a finite value.

How do you determine convergence/divergence of a sequence?

To determine convergence/divergence of a sequence, you can use several methods such as the Ratio Test, the Root Test, or the Comparison Test. These tests compare the given sequence to a known convergent or divergent series and determine the behavior of the sequence.

What is the behavior of the given sequence?

The given sequence has a limit of 1, which means that as n approaches infinity, the terms in the sequence approach 1. Therefore, the sequence converges.

Is the given sequence convergent or divergent?

The given sequence is convergent with a limit of 1. This can be confirmed by using the Ratio Test or the Root Test, both of which show that the sequence converges to a finite value.