Determine dy/dx of the following and simplify if possible

• Thread starter DevonZA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation revolved around differentiating an implicit function and making y' the subject of the formula. The final answer was determined to be ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{ycosx+sin(x-y)}{sin(x-y)-sinx} ##.
DevonZA
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

cos(x-y)=ysinx

My attempt:
-sin(x-y(x'-y')=y'cosx.x'

Yeah I'm stuck.. I know it is differentiation of implicit functions and I need to make y' the subject of the formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that ## x'=\frac{dx}{dx}=1 ##?

Likes DevonZA
Shyan said:
Do you know that ## x'=\frac{dx}{dx}=1 ##?

I do now :smile:

Actually you've done something wrong. You should have ## (y'-1)\sin(x-y)=y'\sin x+y \cos x \Rightarrow [\sin(x-y)-\sin x]y'=y\cos x +\sin(x-y) ##.
Can you continue?

Likes DevonZA
y'= ##\frac{ycosx+sin(x-y)}{sin(x-y)-sinx}##

y'=##\frac{ycosx}{-sinx}##

Therefore ##\frac{dy}{dx}## = ##\frac{ycosx}{-sinx}##

What happened to ##\sin(x-y)##? You can't do that!

Likes DevonZA
Shyan said:
What happened to ##\sin(x-y)##? You can't do that!

Um it got canceled because it was the numerator and denominator of the fraction? My bad

DevonZA said:
Um it got canceled because it was the numerator and denominator of the fraction? My bad
If it was something like ##\frac{f(x)g(x)}{f(x)h(x)}##, then you could cancel f(x) and have ## \frac{g(x)}{h(x)}##. But here you have ##\frac{f(x)+g(x)}{f(x)+h(x)}##. you can't simplify further.

Likes DevonZA
##\frac{dy}{dx}## = ##\frac{ycosx+sin(x-y)}{sin(x-y)-sinx}##

Is the final answer then?

Yes

Likes DevonZA
Thank you very much :smile:

Final answer attached. Thanks to all who helped.

Attachments

• question 1.3 answer.pdf
    202.3 KB · Views: 182

Related to Determine dy/dx of the following and simplify if possible

1. What does "dy/dx" mean?

"dy/dx" is a mathematical notation that represents the derivative of a function. It is read as "dy by dx" and indicates the rate of change of the function with respect to the independent variable, x.

2. How do you determine the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be determined by using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the slope of the tangent line at any point on the function's curve.

3. What does it mean to simplify the derivative?

Simplifying the derivative involves using algebraic manipulation to reduce the expression to its simplest form. This often involves combining like terms, factoring out common factors, and canceling out common factors in the numerator and denominator.

4. Can you provide an example of determining and simplifying a derivative?

Yes, for example, let's find the derivative of the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x - 5. Using the power rule, we get f'(x) = 6x + 2. To simplify this, we can factor out a 2 from the numerator, giving us f'(x) = 2(3x + 1).

5. Is it always possible to simplify the derivative?

No, not always. Some derivatives, especially those involving trigonometric functions or exponential functions, may not have a simple form. In these cases, the derivative is left in its original form or expressed as an infinite series. However, we can still simplify the derivative by using techniques such as substitution or integration.