Determine freq of AC that induces stress in the specimen

In summary, an electromagnetic fatigue-testing machine applies an alternating force to a specimen through an alternating current of frequency ##f##. The weight of the armature is ##40## lb, the stiffness of the spring ##k_1## is ##10217.0296## lb/in, and the stiffness of the steel specimen is ##75\times 10^4## lb/in. The goal is to determine the frequency of the alternating current that induces stress in the specimen that is twice the amount generated by the magnets. The equation of motion has been found, but the value of ##\omega## is still unknown. The answer is ##f = 743.7442## Hz, but it is unclear how to obtain this answer without
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic fatigue-testing machine has an alternating force is applied to the specimen by passing an alternating current of frequency ##f## through the armature. If the weight of the armature is ##40## lb, the stiffness of the spring ##k_1## is ##10217.0296## lb/in, and the stiffness of the steel specimen is ##75\times 10^4## lb/in, determine the frequency of the alternating current that induces stress in the specimen that is twice the amount generated by the magnets.

Homework Equations

##m\ddot{x} + (k_1 + k_2)x = F_0\sin(\omega t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the equation of motion:
$$
x(t) = A\cos(431.571t) + B\sin(431.571t) + \frac{F_0/m}{431.571^2 - \omega^2}\sin(\omega t)
$$
where ##m = W/g = 4.08163## and ##\omega_n = \sqrt{\frac{k_1 + k_2}{m}} = 431.571##.

The answer is ##f = 743.7442## Hz. I have no idea how I am supposed to obtain this answer. I know if I can find ##\omega##, then ##f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi}##, but I don't know how can I can go about finding ##\omega##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

generated by the magnets.
Magnets? What magnets?

Do you have an illustration of the apparatus?

Related to Determine freq of AC that induces stress in the specimen

1. What is the purpose of determining the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen?

The purpose of determining the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen is to understand how the specimen reacts to different frequencies of alternating current. This information can help in designing and testing materials for various applications.

2. How is the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen measured?

The frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen is typically measured using a frequency generator or an oscilloscope. These devices can generate or detect different frequencies of AC and provide accurate measurements.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen?

The frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the specimen, the type of AC source used, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

4. Can the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen be adjusted?

Yes, the frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen can be adjusted by changing the settings on the frequency generator or by using different AC sources. It is important to carefully select the appropriate frequency for the specific material and application being tested.

5. What are the potential risks of using the wrong frequency of AC that induces stress in the specimen?

If the wrong frequency of AC is used, it can result in inaccurate test results and potentially cause damage to the specimen. It is important to carefully select the appropriate frequency based on the material properties and intended application to ensure accurate and safe testing.