Determine how many times are of PQR in terms of XYZ

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary: So, we have:In summary, Line PQ is bisected by the parallel line which originates from X, and the parallel line originating from X is parallel to PQ. Using the converse of the midpoint theorem, we know that PX = XR. We also know that the area of triangles between the same pair of parallel lines and lying on the same base are equal in area, as QY=YZ=ZR. By taking the area of one such triangle as "a", we can see that the triangle PQR is divided into two, with each triangle having an area of "a". Therefore, the total area of PQR is 6a or 6 times the area of XYZ. Another way to solve this is by noting that the
mathlearn
001.jpg

If that's not clear enough, DIAGRAM this will do it.

Going Ahead I see that,

Line PQ is bisected by the parallel line which originates from X

Parallel line which originates from X is parallel to the line PQ

QY=YZ=ZR

and using the converse of the midpoint theorem

The straight line through the midpoint of one side of a triangle and parallel to another side,bisects the third side.

\(\displaystyle \therefore\) PX = XR (converse of the midpoint theorem)

And We know that the area of \(\displaystyle \triangle \)'s between same pair of parallel lines and lie on the same base are equal in area

As YZ=ZR

\(\displaystyle \triangle\)YZX is equal to the area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\) XZR

I updated the diagram
Untitledtri.png

Can You help me to determine the area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\)PQR in terms of \(\displaystyle \triangle\)XYZ

Many Thanks :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the standard formula for the area: $S_{\triangle PQR}=\frac12PH\cdot QR$ where $H$ lies on $QR$ and $PH$ is the altitude from $P$. Also note that the altitude of $\triangle PQR$ is twice that of $\triangle XYZ$.

:)

I marked the altitudes and updated the diagram

2whqvjs.png

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Use the standard formula for the area: $S_{\triangle PQR}=\frac12PH\cdot QR$ where $H$ lies on $QR$ and $PH$ is the altitude from $P$.

The area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\) PQR can be stated as :

$S_{\triangle PQR}=\frac12PH\cdot QR$

And The area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\) XYZ

$S_{\triangle XYZ}=\frac12XH\cdot YZ$
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Also note that the altitude of $\triangle PQR$ is twice that of $\triangle XYZ$.

$S_{\triangle PQR}=\frac122XH\cdot QR$

\(\displaystyle \therefore\)$S_{\triangle PQR}=XH\cdot QR$

mathlearn said:
The area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\) PQR can be stated as :

$S_{\triangle PQR}=\frac12PH\cdot QR$

And The area of \(\displaystyle \triangle\) XYZ

$S_{\triangle XYZ}=\frac12XH\cdot YZ$
The altitude from $X$ has a different base point on $QR$, i.e., not $H$.

mathlearn said:
\(\displaystyle \therefore\)$S_{\triangle PQR}=XH\cdot QR$
This is correct, but you need to find $\dfrac{S_{\triangle PQR}}{S_{\triangle XYZ}}$.

:)

oaykg2.png

QY=YZ=ZR $\left(given\right)$

$\therefore$ the triangles marked in red have the same area
(areas of triangles between same pair of parallel lines and equal base)

By Taking the area of one such triangle as "a",

And we see that the triangle PQR is divided into two . Therefore the area marked in orange strips should be equal to '3a'.

PX=XR (Converse of midpoint theorem)

$\therefore$ Total area= 6a or 6*XYZ

Correct I Guess ?

Last edited:
mathlearn said:
And we see that the triangle PQR is divided into two .
Not just that, but into two triangles with equal area since $PX=XR$.

I agree with the rest; it's a nice solution.

I would have solved it as follows. The altitude of $\triangle PQR$ is twice the altitude of $\triangle XYZ$, and the base is three times. Therefore, the ratio of the areas is $2\cdot 3=6$.

Related to Determine how many times are of PQR in terms of XYZ

1. How do you determine the ratio of PQR to XYZ?

To determine the ratio, you need to divide the value of PQR by the value of XYZ. This will give you the ratio of PQR to XYZ.

2. Can you explain the concept of determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ?

The ratio of PQR to XYZ is a mathematical concept that compares the quantity of PQR to the quantity of XYZ. It helps us understand the relationship between the two quantities.

3. What is the significance of determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ?

The ratio of PQR to XYZ is important in various fields such as finance, science, and engineering. It helps in making comparisons, analyzing trends, and making predictions.

4. Is there a specific formula for determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ?

Yes, the formula for determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ is PQR/XYZ. However, this may vary depending on the context and application of the ratio.

5. How can determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ be useful in real-life scenarios?

Determining the ratio of PQR to XYZ can be useful in various real-life scenarios such as calculating financial ratios, analyzing data trends, and solving mathematical problems. It can also help in making informed decisions and predictions.