Determine if true or false F(A-B) = F(A) -F(B)

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
In summary, for sets X and Y with subsets A and B, it is not true that for all functions from X to Y, F(A-B) = F(A) - F(B). A counterexample is when F is not injective, such as the function y = x^2, and when A = {-1,1,-2,3} and B = {2,3,4}, where F(A-B) = {1,4} and F(A) - F(B) = {1}.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be sets, and let A and B be any subsets of X.Determine if for all functions from X to Y, F(A-B) = F(A) - F(B) Justify your answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

intuition tells me no because the F(A-B) will have a different x values going to a different y values in Y than F(A) - F(B)

also,

the left side will have x values from X such that they are in [tex]A \cap B^c[/tex]

whereas the right side would have x values from X such that they are in [tex]A \cup B[/tex]

and clearly [tex]A \cap B^c \neq A \cup B [/tex]

but I have a feeling that intuition is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:
intuition tells me no
Your intuition is correct but your reasoning is not.
the left side will have x values from X such that they are in [tex]A \cap B^c[/tex]
No. The left side is a subset of Y, not of X.
whereas the right side would have x values from X such that they are in [tex]A \cup B[/tex]
No. The right side is a subset of Y, not of X.

Try looking for a counterexample to show that the equality need not be true. It doesn't have to be complicated: I found one where X only contains two points.

if I think about the resulting y's in Y

[tex]F(A-B) = F(A \cap B^c)[/tex]

and

[tex] F(A) - F(B) = F(A) \cap [F(B)]^c[/tex]

maybe as a simple example

let F be y = x^2

A = {1,2,3} and B = {2,3,4}

so F(A-B) = 1

where F(A) - F(B) = 1,-3 -8, -15, 0, -5, -12, 5, -6

I don't think this is properly done notation wise. I didn't know if it should go in set roster form, ordered pairs or what.

jonroberts74 said:
maybe as a simple example

let F be y = x^2

A = {1,2,3} and B = {2,3,4}

so F(A-B) = 1
Right, except it should be F(A-B) = {1}.
where F(A) - F(B) = -3, -8, -15, 0, -5, -12, 5, -6
How did you get this? F(A) = {1,4,9} and F{B} = {4,9,16}. So F(A) - F(B) = {1}. So unfortunately this isn't a counterexample.

Hint: Try an example where F is not injective.

jbunniii said:
Right, except it should be F(A-B) = {1}.

How did you get this? F(A) = {1,4,9} and F{B} = {4,9,16}. So F(A) - F(B) = {1}. So unfortunately this isn't a counterexample.

Hint: Try an example where F is not injective.

for the second part I did

each value from A minus each value from B after the function was acted upon them

like [tex]1^2 - 2^2 = -3; 1^2-3^2 = -8[/tex]

I used y=x^2 because its not injective and its a simple one

jonroberts74 said:
for the second part I did

each value from A minus each value from B after the function was acted upon them

like [tex]1^2 - 2^2 = -3; 1^2-3^2 = -8[/tex]
But doesn't F(A) - F(B) mean the set difference? In other words, as you wrote earlier, ##F(A) \cap [F(B)]^c##. This has nothing to do with subtracting values. It means the set of all elements of F(A) which are not in F(B).

jonroberts74 said:
I used y=x^2 because its not injective and its a simple one
It's not injective, but you only evaluated it at positive values, and it is injective if you restrict its domain to positive values. Try including some negative values as well.

Likes 1 person
A = {-1,1,-2,3} B = {2,3,4}

F(A-B) = {1,4}

F(A) - F(B) = {1,4,9} intersect {4,9,16} = {4,9}

[tex] \{1,4\} \neq \{4,9\}[/tex]

jonroberts74 said:
A = {-1,1,-2,3} B = {2,3,4}

F(A-B) = {1,4}
So far so good.
F(A) - F(B) = {1,4,9} intersect {4,9,16} = {4,9}
No, F(A) - F(B) = stuff in {1,4,9} which is not in {4,9,16}, so F(A) - F(B) = {1}. So this is a valid counterexample, but not for the reason you gave. :-p

oh right! intersect with the complement.

thanks!

FAQ: Determine if true or false F(A-B) = F(A) -F(B)

1. What does F(A-B) mean?

F(A-B) refers to the function F applied to the difference of the set A and B. It is equivalent to F(A) - F(B), where F(A) is the function F applied to set A and F(B) is the function F applied to set B.

2. How do you determine if F(A-B) equals F(A) - F(B)?

To determine if F(A-B) equals F(A) - F(B), you can directly plug in the values of A and B into the function and compare the results. If the results are equal, then F(A-B) does equal F(A) - F(B).

3. Can F(A-B) ever be equal to F(A) - F(B) even if A and B are different sets?

Yes, it is possible for F(A-B) to equal F(A) - F(B) even if A and B are different sets. This can occur if the function F is linear or if the sets A and B have a specific relationship that allows for the equation to hold true.

4. Is the equation F(A-B) = F(A) - F(B) always true?

No, the equation F(A-B) = F(A) - F(B) is not always true. It depends on the function F and the sets A and B. There may be cases where the equation does not hold true, so it is important to check the values for each specific case.

5. Why is it important to determine if F(A-B) equals F(A) - F(B)?

Determining if F(A-B) equals F(A) - F(B) helps to understand the properties and behavior of the function F. It can also assist in solving mathematical equations and problems that involve sets and functions. Additionally, it can help to identify any errors in calculations or assumptions about the function and sets.

Back