Determine input voltage given resistances

In summary, to calculate the expected input voltage for a CMOS gate with an infinite input resistance, the input voltage would be the same as the supply voltage. For a circuit with specific values for R1 and R2, the input voltage can be calculated using the voltage divider rule.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the expected input voltage for each set of resistances below. For the CMOS gate, assume the input resist of the gate is infinite.

Homework Equations

i=v/R
Voltage divider rule v*R1/(R1+R2)=v1

The Attempt at a Solution

1)For R1=1K and R2=infinity, would V simply be 0 since the resistance is infinity? I'm mostly confused with how the CMOS gate and the infinity resistance will effect the voltage.

2)For R1=1k and R2=10K
v1=5V*1K/(1K+10K)= 0.45V?

I assume for all the rest, the values with infinity I'd calculate as in step 1, and the values with two specific numbers I'd calculate as I would in step 2?

Attachments

• cmos.png
    cmos.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your voltage divider equation: The input voltage is developed across R2, not R1.

orangeincup said:
1)For R1=1K and R2=infinity, would V simply be 0 since the resistance is infinity? I'm mostly confused with how the CMOS gate and the infinity resistance will effect the voltage.
Redraw the input circuit without R2 (an infinite resistance is equivalent to an open circuit):

Fig1.png

What's the input voltage?

Likes orangeincup
Oops,

1)The input voltage would just be 5V then wouldn't it?

2) v1=5V*10K/(1K+10K)=4.545V?

orangeincup said:
Oops,

1)The input voltage would just be 5V then wouldn't it?

2) v1=5V*10K/(1K+10K)=4.545V?

Looking good!

Likes orangeincup

FAQ: Determine input voltage given resistances

What is the formula for determining input voltage given resistances?

The formula is V = IR, where V is the input voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

How do you calculate input voltage if multiple resistances are present?

You can use the formula V = I(R1 + R2 + ... + Rn), where V is the input voltage, I is the current, and R1, R2, ..., Rn are the individual resistances.

What units are used for input voltage and resistance?

Input voltage is measured in volts (V) and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

What factors can affect the determination of input voltage given resistances?

The length and material of the conducting wires, as well as the temperature and type of circuit can affect the determination of input voltage given resistances.

How can I use the input voltage and resistances to calculate the power in a circuit?

You can use the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is input voltage, and I is current. Alternatively, you can use the formula P = V²/R, where V is input voltage and R is resistance.