Determine Io and Vo in the circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, in this conversation, the values for io and vo are determined to be 8.3A and 12.4V, respectively, by using Ohm's law and the sum of all currents out of a node being zero. There was a discrepancy in the original solution due to a sign error and using a different form of writing the sum of currents. It is important to stay focused and consistent when solving problems like this.
icesalmon
Homework Statement
Determine io and vo
Relevant Equations
Ohms law: V=I*R
I am calling the voltage at the node the 2ohm resistor VA
at Node A: ( VA - 54 ) / 3 + ( VA - Vo ) / 1 + (VA - 0) / 2 = 0
at Node Vo: (Vo - VA) / 1 - 2*io = (Vo - 54) / 2
io = VA/2
at Node A: Vo - VA)/1 - 2*(VA/2) = (Vo - 54)/2
Vo = 4*VA - 54
Node A: (VA - 54)/3 + VA - (4*VA - 54) + VA/2 = 0
VA = 16.6V
Vo = 12.4V
io = 8.3A
The solution does not use Node Voltage, instead using a super mesh on the bottom two loops and solving that way which is fine. But it produces a value of VA = 114V and io = 36A.
1611014481726.png

Attachments

• 1611013809282.png
    1611013809282.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:
Homework Statement:: Determine io and vo
Relevant Equations:: Ohms law: V=I*R

at Node Vo: (Vo - VA) / 1 - 2*io = (Vo - 54) / 2
This looks like a sign error in the RHS, and why did you use a different form of writing the sum of all currents out of a node is zero? It's best to stick with that form for each equation instead of trying to flip some of the currents, IMO.

Likes DaveE and icesalmon
berkeman said:
This looks like a sign error in the RHS, and why did you use a different form of writing the sum of all currents out of a node is zero? It's best to stick with that form for each equation instead of trying to flip some of the currents, IMO.
Got it, good catch! Thanks! I'm not sure why I do that, my brain just flips between the two as I write the equations out. I wrote it as the sum of the currents being 0 and it worked out great, good tip!

Likes berkeman
Glad that it helped. Did it resolve the discrepancy?

I've found that I need to stay single-minded (and simple-minded) in problems like this. If I try to get creative, it usually comes back to bite me in the end. o0)

Likes DaveE
berkeman said:
Glad that it helped. Did it resolve the discrepancy?

I've found that I need to stay single-minded (and simple-minded) in problems like this. If I try to get creative, it usually comes back to bite me in the end. o0)
yeah, it yielded the answer from the solution!

Likes berkeman

FAQ: Determine Io and Vo in the circuit

1. What is Io in the circuit?

Io, or the output current, is the current that flows out of the circuit. It is determined by the voltage applied to the circuit and the resistance of the circuit.

2. How is Vo calculated in the circuit?

Vo, or the output voltage, is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance. In this circuit, Vo is the voltage across the output resistor.

3. What factors affect Io and Vo in the circuit?

The main factors that affect Io and Vo in the circuit are the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of components used in the circuit.

4. Can Io and Vo be measured directly in the circuit?

Yes, Io and Vo can be measured directly in the circuit using a multimeter. The multimeter will measure the current and voltage at the specified points in the circuit.

5. How can the values of Io and Vo be used in practical applications?

The values of Io and Vo can be used to determine the power dissipation in the circuit, which is important for selecting appropriate components and ensuring the circuit operates safely. They can also be used to calculate the efficiency of the circuit and make adjustments for optimal performance.